Campaign HQ Forum Index Campaign HQ
Chat about RPGs

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Rank SystemRank System   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Campaign HQ    The Company of the Bright Star Campaign    Vampire

Celerist PrC

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> Eberron Campaign
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nullex
Here dragon, dragon, dragon!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Celerist PrC Reply with quote

CELERIST

Although many characters chose to explore the potentials of a psionically focused mind, few individuals understand its full power as much as celerists. Celerists seek to comprehend the awesome power that exists for those who truly put their minds to the test. Through the focus of their minds, celerists are capable of impressive physicals feats that warrant the nickname “mind acrobat.” *More Flavor Text.*
Hit Die: d6.

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a celerist, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Concentration 9 ranks, Balance 4 ranks, Move Silently 4 ranks, Tumble 4 ranks.
Feats: Psionic Meditation, any other psionic feat.
Psionics: Able to manifest 1st-level powers.

CLASS SKILLS
The celerist’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Psionic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

CLASS FEATURES
All the following are class features of the celerist prestige class. The class features function only when the celerist is wearing light armor or unarmored, and is not carrying a medium or heavy load.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Celerists gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Powers Known: More power points and powers as if she gained a level of her previous manifesting class. (regular stuff)

Celerity (Su): At 1st level, a celerist begins to unlock the full potential of her focused mind. While psionically focused, a celerist receives a +2 insight bonus on all balance, move silently, and tumble skill checks, a +1 insight bonus to her armor class, and an insight bonus to her speed of 5 feet. Unlike most like-named bonuses, the insight bonus to speed granted by celerity and the Speed of Thought feat stack, although no other like bonuses stack with this ability.

Absorb Fall (Sp): At 1st level, a celerist can expend her psionic focus to treat a fall as if it were 10’ shorter then it actually was. This ability works just like the Catfall power. Absorb fall can be used in conjunction with a monk’s slow fall ability, jump and tumble skill checks, or any other ability that decreases the fallen distance (except the catfall power). This distance increases by 10 feet every odd level, to a distance of 50 feet at 9h level.

Release (Su): At 2nd level, a celerist starts to harness the powers of releasing her focus. A celerist can expend her psionic focus to receive a +10 insight bonus to any single dexterity-based skill check, as well as climb, jump, and swim checks. This ability is usable once per day, plus an additional use every even level thereafter, to a total of five times per day at 10th level.

Freedom of Movement (Sp): At 4th level, the celerist’s focused mind instinctively applies the power of her mind to release herself from restrictive forces. For a total time per day of 1 round per celerist level, she can act normally regardless of magical effects that impede movement as if you were affected by the spell freedom of movement. This effect occurs automatically as soon as it applies, lasts until it runs out or is no longer needed, and can operate multiple times per day (up to the total daily limit of rounds). This ability only functions while a celerist is psionically focused.

Heightened Celerity (Su): At 5th level, a celerist further comprehends the possibilities of her focused mind. While psionically focused, a celerist receives a +4 insight bonus on all balance, move silently, and tumble skill checks, a +1 insight bonus to her saving throws, and an additional insight bonus to her speed of 5 feet (for a total bonus of 10 feet).

Hide in Plain Sight (Su): At 6th level, a celerist commands the fundamental interaction between movement and perception. A celerist can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as she is psionically focused and within 10 feet of an object her size or larger, a celerist can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind.

Serenity (Su): At 7th level, a celerist's control over her mind makes her resistant to effects that would try to affect it. She becomes immune to fear and receives a +2 competence bonus on saving throws against all compulsions and mind-affecting effects. This ability functions even if the celerist is unconscious, stunned, or otherwise helpless. She need not be focused to receive the benefits of serenity.

Perfect Celerity (Su): At 9th level, a celerist’s command of her focused mind expands further. While psionically focused, a celerist receives a +6 insight bonus on all balance, move silently, and tumble skill checks, an additional +1 insight bonus to her armor class, and an additional insight bonus to her speed of 5 feet (for a total bonus of 15 feet).

Acumen (Su): Beginning at 10th level, a celerist can take a free action to become psionically focused. The DC for the Concentration check to become psionically focused increases to 35. The celerist may only utilize the benefits of this ability once per round.

Code:

Celerist
Level BAB  Fort Ref Will  Special                  Powers Known
1st   +0   +0   +0  +2    Celerity, absorb fall    --
2nd   +1   +0   +0  +3    Release                  +1 level of existing manifesting class
3rd   +2   +1   +1  +3    --                       +1 level of existing manifesting class
4th   +3   +1   +1  +4    Freedom of Movement      +1 level of existing manifesting class
5th   +3   +1   +1  +4    Heightened Celerity      +1 level of existing manifesting class
6th   +4   +2   +2  +5    Hide in Plain Sight      +1 level of existing manifesting class
7th   +5   +2   +2  +5    Serenity                 +1 level of existing manifesting class
8th   +6   +2   +2  +6    --                       +1 level of existing manifesting class
9th   +6   +3   +3  +6    Perfect Celerity         +1 level of existing manifesting class
10th  +7   +3   +3  +7    Acumen                   +1 level of existing manifesting class
Nullex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there it is. If the *incredibly lacking* flavor text doesn't properly outline it enough, this PrC is basically trying to make an uber-manueverability, psionic skill-monkey.

I have my own thoughts and opinions about how balanced it is, where it could use a little bumping up, toning down, etc. Look it over, post your thoughts. Note that I will be gone until next Wednesday night, so won't be able to field questions/rotten fruit until then. Sorry if there are horrendous typos (which I'm sure there are), and if there's any contradictions, go by the table.

Thanks!
Dez

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some initial comments:

1) Celerity tree: (a) Recommend changing the bonus type to an unnamed bonus, rather than bending the rules around stacking like bonuses. Is there a need to have this bonus be named? (b) Instead of mixing "gets bonus X and an additional bonus Y" text, recommend rewriting to "gets bonus X and Y that supercedes the previous tree ability" (e.g., Heightened Celerity (Su): ... receives a +4 bonus on all balance, move silently, and tumble checks, a +1 bonus to saving throws, and a insight bonus to speed of 10 feet.) I don't know - this still feels somewhat awkward, because the skill tree is granting bonuses to different things at different levels. Perhaps splitting it into one class feature tree that grants continuing improvements and extra class features that provide the "one-off" benefits? i.e., Celerity tree would provide the skill and speed bonuses, a second tree would provide the two-step AC bonus (currently in Celerity and Perfect Celerity... btw, is there a reason not to make this a dodge bonus, which would name it, but still allow stacking?), and a third feature would provide the saving throw bonus (currently in Heightened Celerity).

2) Hide in Plain Sight: Strongly recommend requiring 10 ranks in Hide as a class prerequisite to grant this ability. Additionally, I don't see how this class feature fits in with the "physical feats" and "mind acrobat" concept of the class. Recommend removing/replacing it.

3) Perhaps swap levels on the class features "Freedom of Movement" and "Serenity". Serenity seems like a less powerful ability than an automatic 1/round/level/day of "Freedom of Movement".

4) Absorb Fall: This is one of the "Zowie" features of the monk class, and has been replicated in this PrC at an accelerated rate (Monks get slow fall 50' at 10th level, Celerists at 9th). Granted, Celerists have to spend at least 6-7 levels in other classes before they can start on this path, and that may be balance enough; but I had to mention this, because from my early playtest of 3.0, this has been one of the things that really set the monk apart from every other class...

5) Power progression: I think this may be overpowered, given the number and type of class features granted. As a stab in the dark (i.e., haven't really thought about the numbers much yet...), I'd pull it down to +1 level at each even level. If that significantly underpowered the class, I'd try bumping it to +1 level at 2,3,5,6,8,9. As it currently stands, you could get into this PrC with one level of Psion and 5 levels of monk -- which makes the +1 level / level benefit seem, to me, too powerful. If the prereq was changed to 2nd or 3rd level manifestations, I think it would make more sense.

6) Skills/Skill points: Again thinking about the "movement" concept of the PrC, why put the following skills on the skill list? Craft, Disable Device, Disguise, Gather Information, Hide (which only makes sense if Hide in Plain Sight isn't removed, see above), Knowledge(local), Open Lock, Perform, Use Psionic Device (this shouldn't be required, anyway, because the character has to be Psionic to get into the PrC), Use Rope.

Anyway, there are my initial comments...hope they're some help...
--dez--
Razputyn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial thoughts are OH MY GOODNESS!!!!

After my reading of the post it seems that the PrC is allowing a character to "become" a rogue without actually being a rogue. I understand that this character does not gain access to uncanny dodge or sneak attack, but the heavy focus on all the rogue skills gives it that feeling.

Looking at this class as it is. I am not sure why I would ever want to play a regular rogue. I can give up uncanny dodge and sneak attack for all the extra monk and psion benefits.

I agree with most of dez's comments in regards to the skills. I would however, add search to the list of skills that I don't necessarily see fitting into the "movement/mind acrobat" description you gave. In addition, you did not spell out if the PrC's Search skill would be as per the rogue's which allows the location of magical traps and what not, but I am confident that is what you envision for the character.

Now based on what you have listed, this is how I envision the class up to 20th level: 1 level Psion, 9 levels monk (to get improved evasion...which is also 1 level before a regular rogue could take it), and 10 levels of this PrC (gives effective 11 levels of psion class and 10 levels of rogue skills).

I understand that PrC's are supposed to give you that extra WOW effect for flavor and uniqueness, however, this class seems to be SUPER WOW. Like I stated earlier why would I ever really want to play a standard rogue if this option were available.

-Raz
Nullex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for both of your thoughts. Very detailed and informed.

My thought was that it's somewhat overpowered, but wasn't sure exactly where to skim down. Thanks for your affirmation as such.

In response to some suggestions:

Dez:
1a. I had originally thought to have the speed be unnamed, have the AC be dodge, and have the save bonus be something (I forget). Then I figured unnamed bonuses would be too uber, so I decided to name 'em. Thinking to stick with the mind-power feel of the class, I went with insight for everything. I'll probably change it and have the AC bonus dodge, the speed unnamed, and keep the save bonus as insight. Hmm...
1b. Yeah, the "supercedes" text would probably clean it up considerably. I'll also try splitting things up into different abilities.

2. I think you're right about the Hide prereqs. On an earlier draft of this, I had exactly that (Hide 9 ranks) as a prereq, but took it off because I thought it might be too steep. But, without it, having Hide in Plain Sight looks out of place. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. And I'm sorry that I haven't really articulated too well what the concept is for this PrC besides "acrobatic;" combination of lazyness and writer's block. But, for what I have in mind, HiPS is appropriate. I might bump it back a couple levels (swap around HiPS, FoM, and Serenity). I'll try it out.

3. Mentioned previously.

4. I wondered if it was too strong, but I guess the fact that the celerist would be getting up to 50 feet five levels after a straight monk and that a monk's slow fall stacks with it seemed to balance it out in my head. What if I dropped it to 40ft over 9 levels (10 at 1st, 20 at 3rd, etc.)? Seem better?

5. I've had a number of different power progressions throughout this draft, and am not sold on what I have currently. As is, only losing a level of manifesting class seems more than a nice trade-off for all the abilities. Perhaps I'll go the 7 over 10 levels route (or the 6/10 as you suggested).

6. For the skill list, I relied heavily on the Elocater PrC from Expanded Psionics, which was somewhat the inspiration for this class. I definitely wanted the celerist to have a rogue flare (and originally thought to have sneak attack or some other rogue requirement), without having all the benefits of a rogue (i.e. no trap-finding ability, so if you come from a monk, no disarming traps for you). The skill points per level is where I was mainly concerned with, in terms of balance. I was debating about dropping it to 4 + int. I'll relook into that.

Raz:
I think I addressed most of your concerns as well in Dez's.

I was trying to shy away from giving this character cool combat powers, and instead wanted to focus on skills and other nifty abilities. And again, my apologies for not having sufficient flavor text to fully spell out the class. I'll see if I can't write the rest of it to get it into the class.

Thanks for all your concerns, comments, etc. Any others?
Nullex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's a redo (I figured I'd keep the original as is for others to see the before and after):

CELERIST

Although many characters explore the potentials of a psionically focused mind, few individuals understand its full power as much as celerists. They seek to comprehend the awesome power that exists for those who truly put their minds to the test.

Dedicated to the philosophical study of the focused inner mind, celerists express the practical realization of their philosophy through incredible physical feats as well as demanding acts of finesse and subtlety. Experts on how the mind controls the body, celerists are capable of completing tasks that others find nearly impossible, and they do so with a certain air of confidence and certainty. Additionally, celerists understand how the mind perceives the world, and through their studies have learned how to alter the way the world perceives them.

Many characters choose to utilize the focused mind to augment their martial prowess. Celerists, on the other hand, specialize in the benefits granted by a concentrated mind that show outside of combat. Although many of the abilities gained from this class have applications in battle, a celerist is not a martially-oriented class.

Most celerists are multiclassed, due to the steep entry requirements. Psion/rogue is a common path, as is psion/monk. Wilder/Bard is also found, although less likely.

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a celerist, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: any nonchaotic.
Skills: Concentration 9 ranks, Hide 7 ranks, Move Silently 7 ranks, Balance 4 ranks, Tumble 4 ranks, Knowledge (psionics) 4 ranks.
Feats: Psionic Meditation, any other two psionic feats.
Psionics: Able to manifest 2nd-level powers.

CLASS SKILLS
The celerist’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Psionic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

CLASS FEATURES
All the following are class features of the celerist prestige class. The class features function only when the celerist is wearing light armor or unarmored, and is not carrying a medium or heavy load.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Celerists gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Powers Known: More power points and powers as if she gained a level of her previous manifesting class. (regular stuff)

Celerity (Su): At 1st level, a celerist begins to unlock the full potential of her focused mind. While psionically focused, a celerist receives a +2 insight bonus on all balance, move silently, and tumble skill checks, a +1 insight bonus to her armor class, and an enhancement bonus to her speed of 5 feet.

Absorb Fall (Sp): At 1st level, a celerist can expend her psionic focus to treat a fall as if it were 10’ shorter then it actually was. This ability works just like the Catfall power. Absorb fall can be used in conjunction with a monk’s slow fall ability, jump and tumble skill checks, or any other ability that decreases the fallen distance (except the catfall power). This distance increases by 10 feet every three levels, to a distance of 40 feet at 9th level.

Release (Su): At 2nd level, a celerist starts to harness the powers of releasing her focus. A celerist can expend her psionic focus to receive a +10 insight bonus to any single dexterity-based skill check, as well as climb, jump, and swim checks. This ability is usable once per day, plus an additional use every even level thereafter, to a total of five times per day at 10th level.

Serenity (Su): At 4th level, a celerist's control over her mind makes her resistant to effects that would try to affect it. She becomes immune to fear and receives a +2 competence bonus on saving throws against all compulsions and mind-affecting effects. This ability functions even if the celerist is unconscious, stunned, or otherwise helpless. She need not be focused to receive the benefits of serenity.

Heightened Celerity (Su): At 5th level, a celerist further comprehends the possibilities of her focused mind. While psionically focused, a celerist receives a +4 insight bonus on all balance, move silently, and tumble skill checks, a +1 insight bonus to her saving throws, and an enhancement bonus to her speed of 10 feet. The bonuses granted by this ability supercede the benefits granted by celerity.

Freedom of Movement (Sp): At 6th level, the celerist’s focused mind instinctively applies the power of her mind to release her from restrictive forces. For a total time per day of 1 round per celerist level, she can act normally regardless of magical effects that impede movement as if you were affected by the spell freedom of movement. This effect occurs automatically as soon as it applies, lasts until it runs out or is no longer needed, and can operate multiple times per day (up to the total daily limit of rounds). This ability only functions while a celerist is psionically focused.

Hide in Plain Sight (Su): At 7th level, a celerist commands the fundamental interaction between movement and perception. A celerist can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as she is psionically focused and within 10 feet of an object her size or larger, a celerist can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind.

Perfect Celerity (Su): At 9th level, a celerist’s command of her focused mind expands further. While psionically focused, a celerist receives a +6 insight bonus on all balance, move silently, and tumble skill checks, a +2 insight bonus to her armor class, and an enhancement bonus to her speed of 15 feet. The benefits of this ability supercede the benefits of heightened celerity.

Acumen (Su): Beginning at 10th level, a celerist's ability to be in a meditative state becomes an instantaneous thought. She can take a free action to become psionically focused. The DC for the Concentration check to become psionically focused increases to 35. This does not give her the ability to expend her focus on the same action. For example, a celerist may not use this ability to expend her focus twice on a single manifested power. She may, however, expend her focus to affect a power, regain her focus, and then take her move action. The celerist may only utilize the benefits of this ability once per round.

Code:

Celerist
Level BAB  Fort Ref Will  Special                  Powers Known
1st   +0   +0   +0  +2    Celerity, absorb fall    --
2nd   +1   +0   +0  +3    Release                  +1 level of existing manifesting class
3rd   +2   +1   +1  +3    --                       +1 level of existing manifesting class
4th   +3   +1   +1  +4    Serenity                 --
5th   +3   +1   +1  +4    Heightened Celerity      +1 level of existing manifesting class
6th   +4   +2   +2  +5    Freedom of Movement      +1 level of existing manifesting class
7th   +5   +2   +2  +5    Hide in Plain Sight      --
8th   +6   +2   +2  +6    --                       +1 level of existing manifesting class
9th   +6   +3   +3  +6    Perfect Celerity         +1 level of existing manifesting class
10th  +7   +3   +3  +7    Acumen                   --

Last edited by Nullex on Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:16 am; edited 5 times in total
Nullex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changes made:

1. Added a bit more flavor text which hopefully gets the point of the class across easier. Think Jedi-esque, without the saber-dueling part.

2. Increased significantly the prereqs.
-Two more skills (Hide and Know(psionics)), with an increase in ranks for two skills (hide and move).
-Alignment restriction (not that big of a deal).
-one more psionic feat (for a total of three)
-2nd level manifester needed

3. Toned down the Absorb Fall ability by 10' total and slowed down the progression.

4. Reworked Celerity tree. Bonus types have changed slightly, and the way the abilities are presented has also been improved. Note on bonuses: I changed the speed bonus to enhancement, which would then not stack with the monk's movement (or boots of springing and striding, haste, longstrider, etc.). I kept the AC bonus as insight, to have a bonus that wouldn't stack with everything (mainly thinking of the Precognition, Defensive power).

5. Moved around Serenity, Freedom of Movement, and Hide in Plain Sight. Seems to be better this way.

6. Further articulated how Acumen cannot be used.

7. Lowered the powers known. Now 7/10 ratio.
Razputyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might still suggest having the powers known to being every other level, however, that is just my opinion. If you want to keep the powers known progression as it is, maybe you could work out a list of specific powers known to the PrC. This might help lock down the class and where it excels, instead of giving access to everything. Just my thoughts on the subject.

-Raz

Last edited by Razputyn on Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Dez

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More comments later, but a quick note now --

Having +1 manifester level, Celerity, and Absorb Fall all at 1st level makes this PrC a good "Cherry-picking" class. One of the reasons I recommended the power progessions I did was to help avoid that scenario.

--dez--
Nullex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Dez. I had thought of that too, but with the fairly steep requirements, it seemed unlikely that many characters would qualify for the PrC without meaning to. I'll try moving the +1 manifester level off of first.

Yeah, Raz, I'm still feeling like it might be a bit powerful. But then again I can't help but see the Illithid Slayer PrC. I don't know...

Thanks for your willingness to help out, and please continue to question, remark, point-fingers-and-laugh! I really appreciate it (except the pointing thing)!
Nullex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, newest version:
CELERIST

“Light is the shadows in which I hide, and my trail is but vapor under the burning sun.”
-Eru, human celerist

Although many explore the potentials of a psionically focused mind, few individuals understand its full power as much as celerists. Students of meditation, they seek to comprehend the awesome power that exists for those who truly put their minds to the test.

Dedicated to the philosophical study of the focused inner mind, celerists express the practical realization of their philosophy through incredible physical feats as well as demanding acts of finesse and subtlety. Experts on how the mind controls the body, celerists are capable of completing tasks that others find nearly impossible, and they do so with a certain air of confidence and certainty. Additionally, celerists understand how the mind perceives the world, and through their studies have learned how to alter the way the world perceives them.

Many characters choose to utilize the focused mind to augment their martial prowess. Celerists, on the other hand, specialize in the benefits granted by a concentrated mind that show outside of combat. Although many of the abilities gained from this class have applications in battle, a celerist is not a martially-oriented class.

Most celerists are multiclassed, due to the steep entry requirements. Psion/rogue is a common path, as is psychic warrior/monk.

REQUIREMENTS
Alignment: any nonchaotic.
Skills: Balance 4 ranks, Concentration 8 ranks, Hide 6 ranks, Knowledge (psionics) 2 ranks, Move Silently 6 ranks, Tumble 4 ranks.
Feats: Psionic Meditation, Speed of Thought, Narrow Mind.
Psionics: Manifester level 3rd.

CLASS SKILLS
The celerist’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Psicraft (Int), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex).

CLASS FEATURES

Celerity (Su): At 1st level, a celerist begins to unlock the full potential of her focused mind. While psionically focused, a celerist receives a +2 insight bonus on all balance, move silently, and tumble skill checks, a +1 insight bonus to her armor class, and an enhancement bonus to her speed of 5 feet.

Release (Su): At 2nd level, a celerist starts to harness the powers of releasing her focus. A celerist can expend her psionic focus as a free action to receive a +10 insight bonus to any single dexterity-based skill, as well as climb, jump, and swim. The bonus lasts for one full round. This ability is usable once per day, plus an additional use every even level thereafter, to a total of five times per day at 10th level.

Absorb Fall (Su): At 3rd level, a celerist can expend her psionic focus to treat a fall as if it were 10’ shorter then it actually was. This ability works just like the Catfall power. Absorb fall can be used in conjunction with a monk’s slow fall ability, jump and tumble skill checks, or any other ability that decreases the fallen distance (except the catfall power). This distance increases by 10 feet every three levels, to a distance of 30 feet at 9th level.

Serenity (Su): At 4th level, a celerist's control over her mind makes her resistant to effects that would try to affect it. She receives a +2 competence bonus on saving throws against all compulsions and mind-affecting effects. This ability functions even if the celerist is unconscious, stunned, or otherwise helpless. She need not be focused to receive the benefits of serenity.

Heightened Celerity (Su): At 5th level, a celerist further comprehends the possibilities of her focused mind. While psionically focused, a celerist receives a +4 insight bonus on all balance, move silently, and tumble skill checks, a +2 insight bonus to her armor class, and an enhancement bonus to her speed of 10 feet. The bonuses granted by this ability supercede the benefits granted by celerity.

Freedom of Movement (Su): At 6th level, the celerist’s focused mind instinctively interjects to release her from restrictive forces. For a total time per day of 1 round per celerist level, she can act normally regardless of magical effects that impede movement as if she were affected by the power psionic freedom of movement. This effect occurs automatically as soon as it applies, lasts until it runs out or is no longer needed, and can operate multiple times per day (up to the total daily limit of rounds). This ability only functions while a celerist is psionically focused.

Hide in Plain Sight (Su): At 7th level, a celerist commands the fundamental relationship between movement and perception. A celerist can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as she is psionically focused and within 10 feet of an object her size or larger, a celerist can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind.

Trackless Step (Su): A celerist's focused mind can influence not only her own body and others' perception of its movements, but can also control the impact she has on her surroundings. At 8th level, a psionically focused celerist leaves no visible trail in natural or urban surroundings and cannot be tracked. She may choose to leave a trail if so desired.

Perfect Celerity (Su): At 9th level, a celerist’s command of her focused mind expands further. While psionically focused, a celerist receives a +6 insight bonus on all balance, move silently, and tumble skill checks, a +3 insight bonus to her armor class, and an enhancement bonus to her speed of 15 feet. The benefits of this ability supercede the benefits of heightened celerity.

Acumen (Su): Beginning at 10th level, a celerist's ability to enter into a meditative state becomes an instantaneous thought. She can become psionically focused as an immediate action. The DC for the Concentration check to become psionically focused as an immediate action is 28. This does not give her the ability to expend her focus on the same action. For example, a celerist may not use this ability to expend her focus twice on a single manifested power. She may, however, expend her focus to affect a power, regain her focus, and then take her move action. Like all immediate actions, this ability can only be used once per round.

Code:

Celerist
Level BAB  Fort Ref Will  Special                Powers Known
1st   +0   +0   +0  +2    Celerity               --
2nd   +1   +0   +0  +3    Release                +1 level of existing manifesting class
3rd   +2   +1   +1  +3    Absorb fall            --
4th   +3   +1   +1  +4    Serenity               +1 level of existing manifesting class
5th   +3   +1   +1  +4    Heightened Celerity    --
6th   +4   +2   +2  +5    Freedom of Movement    +1 level of existing manifesting class
7th   +5   +2   +2  +5    Hide in Plain Sight    --
8th   +6   +2   +2  +6    Trackless Step         +1 level of existing manifesting class
9th   +6   +3   +3  +6    Perfect Celerity       --
10th  +7   +3   +3  +7    Acumen                 +1 level of existing manifesting class

Last edited by Nullex on Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:23 pm; edited 9 times in total
Nullex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, updated the version right above this post. Changes made:

1. Slimmed down the class skill list to get rid of some that didn't fit as well.

2. Altered entry requirements: skill ranks got moved a bit, feats down to two, manifester level needed instead of ability to manifest a certain level power.

3. Changed the Freedom of Movement to be as the psionic version (which is pretty much the same).

4. Lowered the total manifester levels gained by one (to six).

5. Lowered DC of Acumen to 28 (35 seemed rather high sub-epic).

Let me know any more suggestions, observations, etc. Thanks!
NeurOde

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely starting to look more balanced. If you figure a character going into this would enter at 6, than finish at 15, that makes for 18 ranks of Concentration (along with say +2 for Constitution) for a total of +21. That's a 65% chance of success on Acumen as opposed to a 20% (with a DC of 35).

Trying to remember, what feat did you remove?
Nullex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did have Psionic Meditation and any other 2 psionic feats. I removed the other two feats and changed those to Speed of Thought. I'm also thinking of adding in another one, but not sure as of yet. Maybe Dodge. Hmm...
NeurOde

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nullex wrote:
Well, I did have Psionic Meditation and any other 2 psionic feats. I removed the other two feats and changed those to Speed of Thought. I'm also thinking of adding in another one, but not sure as of yet. Maybe Dodge. Hmm...

Dodge would definitely fit. Up the Walls might be even more appropriate.
Nullex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Up the Walls was another thought. I know G'eon would definitely take it down the road, but I'm not sure if it should be a req for the PrC.

One of the benefits that Up the Walls would grant for the celerist (besides the obvious feat abilities), is the potential to have an ability that enhances up the walls (either expanding it so that you can double move up the walls - as opposed to just single move; OR so you can traverse horizontal surfaces as well - i.e. ceilings).

Too...many...ideas...
NeurOde

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have they ever released a clarification for that bit? 'Cause the way it's written in the actual book I would think you could totally argue that Up the Walls allows you to run across ceilings.
Nullex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure of any official clarification. I would say you couldn't, based on two main points:

1. The feat's called "Up the Walls." Granted the use of walls there sounds better then, say, "Move Across Anything," but the word usage could probably be intentional.

B. The feat description says "...you can take part of one of your move actions to traverse a wall or other relatively smooth vertical surface if you begin and end you move on a horizontal surface." Vertical only. By the letter of the description, you could probably end you move on the ceiling, but then you'd fall.

I'm not sure though. Others' thoughts?

Oh, and I altered the skill list (dropping some skills that don't really make sense, even though I want them to be part of the skill list) and the skill requirements (so as not to have a 34 skill point entry requirement). I also did away with the immunity to fear from serenity, and instead just have a +2 to all mind-affecting (which would include fear).

Also, I changed the bonuses from Heightened Celerity and Perfect Celerity to only be skills, ac, and speed bonuses (i.e. no save). It made more sense (at least in my head).

I might add an ability at 8th level, something like Trackless Step. Not sure yet, though.
strattjw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rule that you can not walk across the ceiling using Up the Wall feat as the ceiling is not a vertical surface. I supose if you had a really good jump check though you could run up a wall, propel yourself off the ceiling, land on the wall on the other side of the room, and then end on the ground (if you had enough movement to do so.)
NeurOde

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strattjw wrote:
I would rule that you can not walk across the ceiling using Up the Wall feat as the ceiling is not a vertical surface. I supose if you had a really good jump check though you could run up a wall, propel yourself off the ceiling, land on the wall on the other side of the room, and then end on the ground (if you had enough movement to do so.)

Yeah, in hindsight, not so much on my earlier interpretation.
Nullex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, updated version a few posts up. Revised power progression and added trackless step. Pretty much done on my end. Thoughts?
Razputyn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nullex!!!! I am most impressed with your overall process and careful examination (and re-examination) of your PrC. As the class stands now...if I am reading the correct description...it seems to have evolved quite a bit from the original concept. The powers known progression is IMHO, right on, and your skill set seems more focused towards what I feel is the PrC's strength's based on your description.

I am looking up one thing at this time that is more of a curiousity on my part than anything else, that may affect the class. If I find out that it does affect the PrC I will let ya know. For the most part, I THINK this class is okie dokie at this time. However, I reserve judgement till I can stat out a dude and try to enter the class.

-Raz
Nullex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razputyn wrote:
However, I reserve judgement till I can stat out a dude and try to enter the class.

Yes, please try to stat out a character! That's what I need. I've ran through some builds a bit, but I really want another point of view to see about balance issues. Let me know what concerns you have after your statting. . . statisticking. . . sticking. . .
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> Eberron Campaign All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: