Campaign HQ Forum Index Campaign HQ
Chat about RPGs

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Rank SystemRank System   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Campaign HQ    The Company of the Bright Star Campaign    Vampire

Welcome Champions!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mortkemnon
Here dragon, dragon, dragon!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Welcome Champions! Reply with quote

It's like Mortal Kombat in D&D. You create a champion of epic proportions, you know, that power build you've always wanted to try. When we have at least two players and a day we can game, we game... TO THE DEATH!

Who knows what the gods are up to? There is a tournament to be battled out. The cosmos seems to hang in the balance, and the prize has been rumored to be immortaility, or perhaps even a place among the gods themselves. Or is it for some other purpose?

The character creation rules may change from time to time as I try new ideas out. At the moment, they are as follows:

25th Level

High Point Buy

Alternating feat and ability scores every other level

Ability boosting items are triple the price (supply and demand)

Any WotC books for character options sans Unearthed Arcana (except for racial paragon levels) are legal.

House Rules you should be aware of:

We're using the Hit Point Reserves system in Unearthed Arcana page 119, except that a full night's rest refills your reserves completely, and your reserves are twice your normal hit points. There's a couple other Hit Point system variants that look interesting to me that we may try later, but for now, we'll go with this. There will also be a few conditions that happen at certain stages of your hit points, and I may mess around with Death, dying and unconsciousness rules. TBD at the time of game.

Free Multiclassing for Monks and Paladins

We’ll be using the Level Independent Rules for XP in Unearthed Arcana page 213. You may start the session with a bonus 120,000XP, and those of you who use XP in your powers/spells, please refer to Unearthed Arcana page 215. I may play with this as well if I decide the challenges aren't going the way I like, but the last two matches we did this and it worked pretty well.

Magic/Psionic Transparency
Pretty much a Transparency except that Identify doesn't tell you want the other like item is. (Psionic Identify doesn't identify magic items, vice versa), Detect Magic doesn't detect psionics, vice/versa, but dispels of both types do work against each other, as well as null zones, dead zones, and antimagic/antipsionics. SR and PR might be separate.

Sanity/Insanity Rules
We are using some loose Sanity/Insanity rules for flavor, but it's not a central part of the campaign, so only when it really really counts does it apply to everyone.

Magic Variant
Spontaneous casters can use the Spell Point system with the Vitalizing variant in Unearthed Arcana pages 153-157.

Finally, in your spare time, you should create a total of three characters for this campaign that you want to develop. Consider that there is a cosmic thread that binds their fates together. They could be alternate universe versions of each other. They could be very different heroes who share the same soul. Whatever it may be.

All I ask, is that whatever your build is, you have a reason for it in character.

Where is your character from?

What is your character most known for before he/she showed up here?

Does your character follow or worship a god? If so, who?

Who’s your best friend?

Who’s your closest loved one?

Who do you admire?

What do you hate?

What do you love doing?

And do you have any unfinished business/rivalries/psychotic hatreds?

Oh, and do you have an arch nemesis? Cuz really you either just killed him/her, it’s been resolved, or they’re still out there.

Broad strokes are fine for now. Or there’s the other alternative: you don’t freakin know. You don’t remember who you really are. You just know what you can do.

--------------------------------------------------------

Side note: The games won't always be just fighting stuff. There is a mysterious plot unfolding. Find out why your character should care and WIN!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mortkemnon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suddenly, the powers that be switch things up a bit. New character creation rules:

Everthing laid out above remains true except for the following:

Ability boosting items are nowhere to be found. Perhaps you had some where you came from, but when you show up here, they're gone.

At the moment we're not going to worry about XP for advancement. You are of the level that the gods decree. When you advance, you will know. For now, you're 25th. And, you have enough XP to cast whatever spells or manifest whatever powers you can in a single session. I may give an XP pool for each match. TBD.

The following books are not legal:
Miniatures Handbook
Tome of Magic (this will change)
Tome of Battle (this also will change)

Stay tuned for gear and how much you can spend on items.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ichabod
Dragon? Bring it on!
Dragon?  Bring it on!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up or down on manuals?
Same for items that mimic Bull's Str., etc?
Northstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tome of Magic/Battle available yet?

And I only just read the whole "no ability boosting items" thing... I don't think I've played since that "addition" to the rules...
Mortkemnon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update to come. The gods are in council.
Northstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*
Mortkemnon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumped off is what YOU'RE gonna get! You dare enter the EPIK ARENA!

Creation Rules are as follows:

Normal Ability increasing progression
Feat every odd level
All ability boosting items are available, including manuals and tomes, maximum +15 total inherent bonuses from manuals and tomes.

Tomes of Magic and Battle are now legal. MH is still NOT legal. No Forgotten Realms sourcebooks either, with the exception of Underdark, and City of the Spider Queen. (Story reason)

Normal XP progression.

26th level.

Everything else is the same as in the original post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> Epik Arena All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: