Campaign HQ Forum Index Campaign HQ
Chat about RPGs

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Rank SystemRank System   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Campaign HQ    The Company of the Bright Star Campaign    Vampire

Poor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zenwolf
Here dragon, dragon, dragon!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Poor Reply with quote

So I have pretty much accepted that I will never have an epic flying mount. So my questions is: how are you guys able to get one?

I have:
  • Done almost all quests.
  • Tried selling every green. They rarely sell, even for a price barely above vendor price. So I just get them DEd.
  • Tried selling crafted goods. No good there. They only sell for less than the materials cost.
  • Tried grinding mobs. This helps me pay for food, or repairs, but that is about it.

Basically, after food/repair/upgrades I never have a net gain in gold. So what's the secret? Just mining and selling all the ore/bars on the AH? I've never been good at generating gold, due to my low tolerance of grinding.

Confused and still sitting at 150 gold,
- Kaeden
Locksley
I'm a Dragon and that's OK...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thallinar did it by doing the dailies in Skettis and Blade's Edge.

I actually do well with the AH but I've a tendency to support other characters with it. And/or respec.

Apparently, you can get 60g a day doing just the dailies, which according to Sir Thallsalot, you can do in under 2 hours. So, 83 days worth of dailies and you're good to go, assuming you don't get another thing.

Secondly, why are you buying food? Didn't you get the underspore pod from Coilfang? Free food!

On a related note, Thall says it takes some work to get to the dailies...something about 5-man quests. I couldn't get a five-man quest done to save my life but if we all had the need, I'm thinking we could pool our resources.
Zenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, dailies sound interesting. I'll have to also look into completing the 5-man Ogri'la quests,which I have (I think there are three of them).

As for the neverending spore food: I used to use it quite a bit. But when you have 10,000+ life, 4000 health a pop is extremely slow going and you run out fast. I buy the much faster food from vendors when I need food for grinding.

I suppose there is no way of getting around grinding. The main problem for me is finding time to grind. I could grind, of course, but then I would probably have to give up the time I spend on PvP. And if I had to choose between epic DPS gear from BGs and Arena versus an epic mount, as a Warrior who is completely dependent on gear I will take the gear any day Smile

It sounds like Dailies are the way to go for me. Thanks for the info!
Locksley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be happy to do the 5-mans with you and I too am working my way into the dailies. Just let me know and I'll be there.
tykeal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dailies. It's all about the dailies.

Also, I worked on grinding my rep for the Sha'tari Skyguard by killing Skettis folks as well which allowed me to grind the [Shadow Dust] needed to turn into [Elixir of Shadows] that will then allow you to also grind on getting [Time-Lost Scroll]'s. The scrolls while needed for a doing a few quests (see Sha'tari Skyguard - Faction) they also usually sell for 17-20g at the AH per stack of 10. Though you'll notice that you can stack them to 250, most folks will only buy in stacks of 10 as that is what is needed for use.

In addition to that, the [Time-Lost Offering] that can be gotten from the farming of the scrolls and the "quests" that they allow you to do supposedly will sell for around 100g at the AH. As I've got one sitting the bank I really ought to find out Wink

Finally, I got a lot of [Netherweave Cloth] while killing things in Skettis and I used that to in turn create [Netherweave Bag]s which will also sell for around 17-20g on a lucky day at the AH, though I pretty much given up on that as a money generator, sales of that slowed way down and while I usually have the needed [Arcane Dust] to make the [Bolt of Imbued Netherweave] the [Netherweb Spider Silk] is one of those things I hate grinding, but can.

All in all I spent about a month or so living in Skettis killing things as I built the rep and managed to pug those 5 mans to get the Ogri'la quests available to me. That helped a lot as mentioned by Jhaelas. 5 dailies == about 60g a day for about 2 hours of work.
DMShoe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a bit of gold selling, and with the Primal Might transmute I get a free 100g every now any then when I get a duplicate to pop.

I'm sure most of my gold has been driven by mote farming (elemental plateau or skettis). With 1 hour in Skettis I can do the repeatable bombing run (12g) and kill enough water elementals for 2 or 3 primal waters (20g each).

I can also transmute primal earth into primal water, which is about a 15g transaction each day. I also occasionally buy primal life cheap off the AH and make Silver Spellthread - usually a 10-15g profit on that. When I was making my Spellfire set items, I also took the time to grind out mats for Primal Mooncloth and Shadowcloth, both of which have netted reasonable gold over that time.

I did get Auctioneer, and I've tried to do some of the "buy low/sell high" flipping on the AH, but it's a pain if you end up with dead weight or if stuff doesn't sell quickly.

It's slow, and I've not been focused on it recently, so Hel's been floating around 3600-3800g, and I've got a stack of Primal Mights that I'm waiting on 100g prices again, so I'm closer to 4500. Considering I dropped a pooload when I leveled tailoring to 375, I think I'm doing ok.

I think the best way to make consistent money though might be to gather ore or herbs, since stacks of ore are always consistent sellers, or farm primals -- I got 2 primal fires in less than an hour on the plateau last night, and they can sell for 25-30g each.
Jershon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working my hunter up to have him grind as well as find herbs to turn into potions. The daily quests are usually the most common way to make a good amount of gold, but grinding is really one of the only ways to do it nowadays. I am also able to use my tailoring cooldowns to make money especially with the specialization where I always get 2 for the price of one, and that's even when buying the mats. 4 day cooldown though.

Auctioneer flipping has become unreliable. I usually watch the market and run a scan every day but there is an obvious amount of auctioneer scamming that is taking place for the past several months. As said the gathering professions, grinding, and the daily quests seem to be the only way to make money.

On a side note, I've been saving all the quests on my hunter that are level 65 or higher then coming back to them after he hits 70 to cash in on the gold.

Razputyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it gets more difficult as you get higher in level, but for playing only about 11 hours at level 60, I've managed to accumulate about 100 g on my own doing quests and selling stuff to vendors....(that's minus the charity I received when I first came back.) I'm pretty sure I could make more if I took the time to AH some items here and there, but since I can't get back to IF or SW in relatively quick terms, I just vendor greenies and the blue's that are not useful to me.

I'm not sure I can get to 5k by level 70 with just quests, but I should have a tidy sum by that time (I'm 2 bars or so away from level 61). While I don't spend my money on a lot of food, I do spend it on things to make me disappear, poison, and blind things.

Things will probably change once I find some cool gear I want to buy, but for now, I don't know any better so it's easy to be cheap. Almost all the gear I find right now and those that are crafted for me is better than my old level 60 gear.

-Raz

Last edited by Razputyn on Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jershon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does get tougher once you hit 70 and don't have any more quests to do. Quests earn you a surprising amount of money, especially once you hit 70 and the quest give cash instead of xp. However this is a limited stream of income and you are left with fewer options when you are done with the quests.

You should have enough when you reach 70 to buy your flying mount. I know I had a few thousand when I hit 70 but then spent it on alchy recipes and tailoring.

Zenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I had enough money at level 70 to buy my flying mount and upgrade my tanking equipment. After that, however.... slowness extreme.
DMShoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doing my thing looks like it netted about 1000g over the past 3 weeks or so, since I just topped 5k a few days ago.

Daily quests were a big part of it. I probably ran the ogrila and skettis dailies 6 or 8 times, which is a few hundred right there -- if I run all 5 available dailies (simon says, get aether rays, bomb demons, kill demons, and bomb birdies), that's 60g right there.

Plus selling stuff -- I had pretty good luck this past week, as on 3 consecutive transmutes I got a x2 result, which gave me a couple extra earthstorm diamonds. I also buy up Primal Lifes to make silver spellthread (5x <8g each, sell for 50-60) every few days.

but I'm broke now. that mount sure flies fast, though.

Now I'll be able to hit the netherwing dailies, which should result in a respectable amount of income for an hour's worth of work - if I ever get time to do them. (of course, with the epic flyer, I've got less motivation to gather cash)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: