Campaign HQ Forum Index Campaign HQ
Chat about RPGs

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Rank SystemRank System   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Campaign HQ    The Company of the Bright Star Campaign    Vampire

4th year 4th Edition...mere coincidence?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> ...I'm Just Talkin' 'Bout Shaft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaft350x
Here dragon, dragon, dragon!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: 4th year 4th Edition...mere coincidence? Reply with quote

Ode already mentioned that Ryan's campaign we'll stick with 3.5 since we all have that and the module is for that. Which I am cool with, because I didn't think I'd be excited about the change over.

I think that will probably change as I learn more about 4th edition. Not that I want to change Ryan's campaign, because I'm also excited about learning Eberron. I just figured if we manage to get a hold of some of the 4th edition stuff, we could run a little of that on the side. I wouldn't mind trying to DM that. (Hence it this post is in Revelation, on an aside, Ode you think you could clean up this forum? Figure we can keep the separate indexes for each DM)

Anyways I think the teaser they had about how races will play a bigger role throughout the campaign is a neat idea, it got me a bit more excited.
NeurOde

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the racial differentiation in 4th edition should be nice, and overall I think it will be a nice improvement to the rules.

Still, we will need to run 3.5 for Ryan's campaign since:
1) only minimal material for 4th will be available by the time we start
2) the module itself is 3.5 an not designed for 4th

I'd be up for a side campaign of it, though we would need to be careful about rules confusion and general frustration related to that.

Freedom is coming, oh yes, I know...
shaft350x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So reading up some more on the 4th Ed. I saw an article about some play testing and how a wizard now would have some daily, multiple times a day, and a per encounter spell. Or something like that. So magic may work a little more closely to the Tome of Battle stuff.

Oh and the Tiefling and Gnome cartoon was hilarious.
Yarnsworn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having not played WoW, I can't say how well it will parallel, but dungeon crawling has never been really well balanced. Story adventuring doesn't usually require resource management, making PCs overpowered for the "appropriate" challenge and under defended for actual challenges. I'm excited to see how the at will and per encounter abilities are going to be distributed and selected. Hooray for innovation!
shaft350x

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the now defunct MUD I used to play, you could always just sit down and rememorize your spells between (or even during technically) an encounter. (That always required fleeing out, and not getting chased down by the mob, but it often worked) So coming over to actual D&D I was very concerned about being functional. Hence other than the Bard the first time around, I've not played a caster.

I'm used to the regenerating mana pools and quick regaining of spells in the RPGs I've played. Ultimas, Kotors, and Elder Scrolls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> ...I'm Just Talkin' 'Bout Shaft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: