Campaign HQ Forum Index Campaign HQ
Chat about RPGs

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Rank SystemRank System   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Campaign HQ    The Company of the Bright Star Campaign    Vampire

+X weapons...(picking up a thread from stories)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> The Company of the Bright Star Campaign Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dez
Here dragon, dragon, dragon!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh...

I didn't remember the sword at all...which is why I made the post about not calling a +1 magical (masterwork) longsword just a finely crafted longsword -- I didn't realize it was masterwork (only).

Also agree with the "arbitrary scale" comment -- and it's followon that until the DM sets an arbitrary scale, the players intuitively default to +N as their scale. That being said, however, I like the idea of a color spectrum for magical enhancements. The flip side of this coin, is everyone is able to tell what a +X weapon's X is, which may or may not be desirable for the campaign (I think it would make a lot of life simpler to go this route), but I want to reiterate that the glow would be based on magical enhancement bonus only -- it would not change its glow based on other enchantments that had been laid on the item.

my two coppers...

--dez--
tykeal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually thinking of something more along the lines of extra campaign specific info that would come from identify.

For instance instead of finding out that a weapon was +1 when they did an identify they would get back the information that based upon the nature of the magic the weapon rated in the "minor power" section on Thygul's Magical Object Identification Scale. All practicioners of the craft that used the spell identify would work off of a _very_ similar scale / chart though it may be called different things in different parts of the world.

I would find that an object that glowed to identify it's bonus would break the way the system is designed. The only way that I would find this balancing / not broken would be that the glow would be a side effect of casting identify. Therefore, in that case extra enhancements _could_ actually have a color or other similar modifier to the base glow. Of course you wouldn't ever see the glow if identify didn't tell you about that particular ability. Analyze Dweomer on the other hand wouldn't suffer from that limiting problem Wink

DMShoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out homework. Then come back and read this.

Ok, now that you are back...

The idea behind the homework is that a magic weapon (or armor) will have tell-tale signs of the treatment it had during the creation process. The "residue" would only be visible with a detect magic spell, and the exact nature of the residue would not be evident until an identify spell were cast.

The side effect of this is that once a material is identified, then other items with that material are more easily identified.

For instance:

• Detect magic indicates that an item is magical. One of the magical properties may be from immersion in some viscous fluid (DC 25(?) Spellcraft to notice). The other is faint signs of diamond dust (another DC 25 Spellcraft to notice)
  • Identify reveals that the weapon is was immersed in Distilled Red Dragon Blood and sprinkled with diamond dust, and would statistically be called a +1 flaming burst weapon.
  • During a future detect magic the same caster comes across another weapon and makes his DC 25 Spellcraft check to notice the Red Dragon blood, but fails to notice other reagents. He now knows that the weapon is a flaming burst weapon, but does not know its enhancement (plus) until an identify is cast. (or the weapon is used)

I'm giving thought to how to set the DCs. Right now, this is restricted to Weapons and Armor, where I think it is the most useful.

I think it important to point out that there may be multiple reagents that provide the same bonus. For instance, diamond dust may be indicative of a +1 weapon, but powdered mithral may provide the same bonus.

-DMShoe
DMShoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detect Magic already has a scale built in for determining power of magic, even if it is a bit vague. The strength of the auras on a weapon or item are a function of the weapon's caster level.

The disadvantage to this is that the detect magic is somewhat vague -- a faint aura would indicate a "+1 weapon", where a moderate could be a "+2 or +3" weapon, and a strong is +4 or +5. Other abilities would detect as separate auras.

That is where the reagent residue concept comes from. The merchant that buys the occasional magic weapon may have some item that helps him quickly determine residues on an item and make an assessment of the item's value.

-DMShoe
DMShoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking with Tykeal at lunch yesterday about what the effects are of identifying some of the exact materials used in item construction.

I'm talking metagame effects. If you know that to create a flaming sword that you need X pints of distilled dragon blood, then how much of your X,000 gp are used to buy that component. And then once the price of each pint is determined, then suddenly a dead dragon looks less like a big corpse and more like a pile of cash. Liquid, and all that.

So I think it is important that if a wizard or cleric comes across some of those material reagents, then they should be able to save some cash on the "raw materials", but I don't know that I want to set up a mercantile exchange for components -- where the PCs are scouring everything just for a few extra gp.

Heroics, and all that. It's DnD, not Magic Tycoon.

Anyway -- sorry about the somewhat scattered thoughts. Bad Day.

-DMShoe
SSentinel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah so many usefull parts from dragons!!! Blood, scales claws, hide, teeth, etc.

Makes you want to run out and become a dragon slayer just for the sheer profit involved, and I imagine you could get a pretty good restaraunt business going serving dragon steaks and burgers and all.

Of course I think it might just be a little safer to stay home and be a dragon farmer.

So how much does a dozen red dragon eggs go for these days?

[ This Message was edited by: SSentinel on 2001-09-28 14:47 ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DMShoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point, perhaps important to those who have yet to do homework -- not all of these reagents require rarity.

For example, it is perfectly feasable to suggest that charcoal be applied to a fire weapon, or powdered granite be used for enhancements.

-DMShoe
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> The Company of the Bright Star Campaign Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: