Campaign HQ Forum Index Campaign HQ
Chat about RPGs

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Rank SystemRank System   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Campaign HQ    The Company of the Bright Star Campaign    Vampire

Resetting View Post since Last Visit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSentinel
Here dragon, dragon, dragon!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:15 am    Post subject: Resetting View Post since Last Visit Reply with quote

I typically use the View posts since last visit link when connecting to the board So I can keep track of the posts I've read vs those I have not yet read. However, with the extra trafic on the board, It's taking a good deal longer to read through the posts that interest me than it used to.

The problem I'm experiencing is that after about an hour of online time (I'm actively clicking links on the site though so i'm not sitting idle for more than 5 to 10 minutes at a time), the link no longer returns any posts even though I haven't logged out and back in. This leaves me with unread posts, but the posts are no longer marked as unread, so I have to try to figure out which ones I haven't read yet based on the time stamps.

I would prefer that as long as I'm actively clicking through links and maintaining my session that this not happen.

On a similar note, I wouldn't mind having a link on the View posts since last visit page that resets it such that when I'm done reading through the one's I'm interested in I can manually force the reset, though I should be able to achieve the same result by logging out then back in to reset my cookie.

Any thoughts on this?
Dez

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I don't use the "view posts since last visit" option, so don't know much about how it works...

What I do, that seems to keep me on track with the different threads, is:

1) Use a tabbed browser (I like Mozilla 1.1...)
2) Open the forums main page
3) Open each forum that has new posts in a new tab
4) Open each thread that has new posts in a new tab
5) Close the forum(s) tab(s)
6) Read the thread(s)
7) Close the thread(s) tab(s)
8) When I want to see what's new, I just refresh the main page tab

*shrugs* seems like a lot of work when I write it out this way, but it's just middle-clicks instead of left-clicks in Mozilla, so it's not actually bad at all...

--dez--
tykeal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know what I can do about that. I suppose I can put it on my list of things I should look at / try to fix on the boards.

Of course the top of the list is always reading something like: Actually work on forums when at home, not just say you will Embarassed
DMShoe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do what amounts to a left-most search of the tree when viewing new posts. I look to see which forums have unread posts, select the forum, select the first (interesting) unread post, then when done reading post hit the back button/key, read next post (if any), once forum is done, hit the back button again and select the next forum.

-DMShoe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: