Campaign HQ Forum Index Campaign HQ
Chat about RPGs

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Rank SystemRank System   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Campaign HQ    The Company of the Bright Star Campaign    Vampire

Clock off?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMShoe
Here dragon, dragon, dragon!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2001 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the clock might be off again.

Or has it always been off?

-DMShoe (at 10:50am, PST)
tykeal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2001 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrmm... I'll have to take a look at that. I don't really know what's going on as the system is getting a routine update off of a stratum 2 time server selection.

I think the forum is having issues that's all.

Dez

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2001 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cackle* There's nothing wrong with the clock -- it's still keeping real time, while most of America goes off into make-believe time (aka PDT) ... and no, for the record, I didn't do this to the system -- it's just a nifty coincidence for a change Smile

--dez--
(who thinks DST is one of the more asinine things we have to deal with)
tykeal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2001 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Dez,

ntp services wouldn't come up after the power outages because the servers were more than 1000 seconds out of sync. I've the the servers now on time with the rest of the coast.

Therefore the time stamps should start looking real again for folks.

DMShoe

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2001 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the clock dropped an hour again.

(Posting at 5:48pm)

-DMShoe
tykeal

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2001 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does appear to have done so. I don't know why, but I'm kicking it now.

DMShoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off an hour again -- it just confuzzled the heck out of me for a few seconds.

-DMShoe
Dez

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*evil laughs* it's not off..check the note in the bottom right corner of the page ("All times are PST (U.S./Canada)")

If the clock was changed to conform to this mass delusion, that line would no longer be correct...as the times would be reported in PDT rather than PST, which is just silly to do, anyway...

*cackle*

--dez--
DMShoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever.

The note is present on the page, but perhaps it could be moved closer to the timestamp right under the logo on the top of the page.

And if the rest of the Known World (Karemeikos excluded) translates to Daylight time, should not our own chronometers be similarly updated to reflect the time that everyone else uses? (even though I oppose and detest the half-yearly changing of times.)

Of course, the updating of the time should also include the updating of the 'PST' to 'PDT', to avoid further confusion.
tykeal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an oft requested feature of the forums. The devs are "thinking" about it for 2.2.

ATM the system doesn't handle DST change-overs at all.

You know what, we should all just set our clocks to GMT and be done with it Wink

[edit]Additionally I don't see where you are saying it's on the page (the PST notification)[/edit]
DMShoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its at the bottom-right under the "forums" box, nestled between the forums and the "who is online" box.

And nestled means "sandwiched within", not "sprinkled with chocolate." (or nes-old, not nes-leed)

-DMShoe
Dez

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, just as a quibble, the vast majority of the known world does not observe daylight savings time. Most of North America, England, and a couple other places do, but last I heard, most of the rest of the world thought we were kooks for going to all that trouble, confusion, and consternation twice a year...

--dez--
(edit) i suppose we should probably move this discussion over to General Discussion instead of Support if we're going to continue it... :)
SSentinel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a followup on Dez's post.

Even within the US their are parts of our country (farming comunities mostly) that don't abide by the national craze of readjusting their time clocks every 6 months or so.

I think they figure that so long as the cows aren't resetting the time that they give milk why should the farmer have to reset his alarm clock.

It's much nice to continue getting up at 5am to go milk the herd than having to start getting up at 4am to go and milk the herd. Smile
FoulGrin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is kind of ironic when you consider the fact that daylight savings time was instituted to give farmers more daylight in which to work.
-FG-
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tykeal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, every farmer I've ever asked about it says they think it's a horrible thing as it makes it even more difficult for them to get their produce and other stuff to market. The reason being that everyone is now an hour out of sync with their day to day cycle.
DMShoe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most farmers wake and sleep by the sun, and pay little attention to actual "time". The exception, as Tyke mentioned, is when the farmer has to interact with others (buying equipment, selling produce/milk/whatever).

Daylight Saving Time was first instituted in WWI, then again in WWII. The idea was that by moving the time, there would be more daylight during the evening hours, so the national consumption of energy would be reduced. This was especially important during the wars as most electricity generated was by huge coal plants and diesel generators -- the fuels used most for war vehicles and vessels. DST was one of the ways of instituting "rationing" during wartime. The Germans were the first to implement it.

Of course, time zones weren't even legally recognized in the US until the Standard Time Act (circa 1918) - and most local times were set based on the sun (noon was when the sun was straight above) and clocks were set by sundial. The railroads -- first in the Empire where the sun never sets (Britain), then in the US -- were the first to attempt to standardize time, as it helped for shipping schedules, and time zones first saw use in the 1880s. The standardization of time and implementation of DST confused so many that the STAct was repealed, and local governance was allowed to choose whether or not to use DST. That caused even more confusion, as now the time was standard in a time zone (the time zones came from the railroad co's), but it could still vary an hour if the local region used DST. Chaos ensued.

It wasn't until 1966 that federal law was enacted to finalize the time issues - though States were given the ability to decide whether to observe DST or not (Indiana still doesn't -- and Arizona, I think).

Now most non-tropical countries observe DST. Including 95% of the European Union, Middle East, North America, Russia and the former Soviet states, and a few others. Japan, China, and many of the Eastern Asian countries do not. And only a few countries in the Southern Hemisphere use DST -- part of Aussie (the part with the cities), New Zealand, Chile, part of Brazil -- and a few other countries.

Tropical countries don't change the clock because there is no advantage to moving it -- daylight varies little from 12hrs at the equator.

Of course, that means that when Dez says "the vast majority of the known world does not observe daylight savings time", he's partially right -- since India and China together make up the majority of the world's population. But the majority of the "Western" world does observe DST.

-DMShoe (who has time on his hands)
DMShoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clock's off again.

And not just the PST/PDT thing - It's off an hour of PST right now.

-DMShoe
tykeal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figures.... our ntp file isn't working anymore as all the time servers I was using (and hadn't bothered checking on) all no longer exist.

I've made sure the clock is at least current for now. When I get home I'll hunt down new time servers and make sure we're getting a proper time sync. I'll also see about reminding myself to check that regularly Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: