Campaign HQ Forum Index Campaign HQ
Chat about RPGs

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Rank SystemRank System   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Campaign HQ    The Company of the Bright Star Campaign    Vampire

Character Concept Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> Eberron Campaign
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeurOde
Here dragon, dragon, dragon!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northstar wrote:
2) Are we looking to double up on no skills whatsoever? or noly on a select few? Or just whatever?

Personally, given the slightly different angles we're all coming from, I think the 3 of us will be OK as far as skill maximization. In my mind, it comes down to a combination of a) Character histories and b) Character personality.

If two characters have been working together for awhile, it would make sense for each to specialize in a different area. Your character, for example, might only dabble in something like Use Magic Device, even though it's a useful skill, simply because he knows my character will be working so hard in that area. Similarly, Dave's might shy away from working on his people skills so as to better work on his breaking and entering technique since he knows you'll be doing a lot of facework.

There would also be times, though, where it would make sense for mutliple characters to max out a skill based on their personality. Dave and I, for example, both have excellent reasons to max out Disable Device from the get-go. It's possible, though, that one of us will start to shy away from keeping that one maxed as our characters start working together more often and one character naturally takes the lead in that area.

Basically, I don't want to metagame it too much, I just wanted to get a feel for where you two were looking to spend your booko (sp?) skill points compared to myself. At this point, I'd say we're fine.
Razputyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been struggling to create 1 of 2 flavors of Rogues during the time that I have been playing in 3.0/3.5. In my estimation, I have successfully created a typical “thief” that is very capable of breaking into places and getting out of tight jams. The flavor that I have been having the most difficulty with is the one that you are currently working on, the information/espionage Rogue.

While the modifications to the skill based Bard ARE GREAT for info gathering and the like in the campaign I foresee one possible downside which you may have overlooked. Unless the campaign is going to focus primarily on espionage and intrigue within the urban setting this character type will be very limited in combat. I look at the Bard as a support character that helps out the party with his/her allotment of Spells and Music. Now that the character has lost all ability to cast spells his effectiveness to help out in combat is halved and I am not sure if his using of Perform (oratory) as “Bardic Music” will be necessarily enough unless he plans on donning BIG armor and getting in toe to toe with someone as well. I am not sure how to offset this or if this will truly be a problem for your group. You have 1 front line Fighter type, and 3 support/secondary fighter types. One of the support types, the Artificer, may spend the initial rounds of a combat “SUPER SIZING” himself, his weapon, or his comrades. The Bard will do minimal damage as I am sure strength is not one of his major attributes. The Rogue will be quite effective against targets that are susceptible to criticals, but against those that are not, will be similar to the Bard in damage dealing capabilities.

Bah! Maybe I am too concerned for your well being. Go run around and kill shit dead. And if you get killed you can make new dudes!!! ROAR!

-Raz
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> Eberron Campaign All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: