Campaign HQ Forum Index Campaign HQ
Chat about RPGs

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Rank SystemRank System   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Campaign HQ    The Company of the Bright Star Campaign    Vampire

Homework #2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> Eberron Campaign
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strattjw
Here dragon, dragon, dragon!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Homework #2 Reply with quote

Now that you have had a session with some combat in it, I would like you to describe your character's thoughts on the effectiveness of the party in handling the situation. Focus not only on your own effectiveness but on how you handled the situation as a team. Highlight any areas that you feel your character will want to improve upon. This homework is due before the next session and is worth 300 xp.
NeurOde

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Torvik had been a child he had often played at combat with his friends. Like all members of the Marked Houses, he'd received some schooling in self-defense, though he'd never anticipated using it as thoroughly as he had today.

The small group of new companions he'd fallen into had certainly not been prepared for the onslaught of undead they'd run into in the abandoned inn. Rumors of hauntings are one thing, but to actually see the walking dead? Torvik shuddered at the memory.

When they were first attacked as they entered the building, the group hadn't initally known how to work together. Darbolt had offerred encouraging words which seemed to aid in the battle, but Torvik couldn't recall him actually using a weapon outside of when he'd been charmed and attacked the party. G'eon seemed adequate with his bow, and initially with his sword, but it was clear the enemies they'd encountered were outside the realm in which he would excel. It was also clear that Rye was the most solid of the four when it came to battle, and Torvik knew he would have to find a way to bolster that advantage if the group was to continue to find themselves in such situations. Torvik couldn't both heal the others and attack their opponent at the same time, of course, and he hadn't enjoyed being forced to choose which action to take as the battle had swung against them with that ghoul.

When Torvik had infused his mace with the power to harm the undead, he knew he had just put himself at the forefront of the fighting. However, in hindsight, he thought the group would have been better served at times had G'eon and Darbolt "mixed it up" a bit more. It was odd to realize that only the chaos of multiple targets for that final ghoul was what had allowed Torvik the opening he needed to defeat it. Had the others continued to stay out of the thick of things, Torvik and Rye would likely be dead.

There was definitely potential in the group where combat was concerned, and Torvik felt the best way to maximize it would be for each of them to continue to grow in their current strengths. Rye was obviously ready for battle and would only get better at it. G'eon's attacks had been ill-suited for the day's fighting, but it was likely he would do better when/if they found themselves with humanoid opponents. His alley-way exploits had shown as much. Darbolt was probably the weakest in this area, and Torvik wasn't quite certain how best to help him with it. Purchasing armor was something the constable hadn't initially appeared uninterested in, but hopefully that action, as well as improving his work with a weapon, would be something Darbolt would undertake in the near future.
NeurOde

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, once again I leave them all speechless with my masterful prose.
Wink
NeurOde

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*
Nullex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll get to it, NeurOde, we'll get to it. Give us some time! Wink
NeurOde

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nullex wrote:
We'll get to it, NeurOde, we'll get to it. Give us some time! Wink

Sigh...I just want reading material.
Smile
Nullex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeurOde wrote:

http://news.google.com/
http://www.commondreams.org/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/
http://www.zeldman.com/
http://www.wildfirejo.blogspot.com/

Go to town!
Kyndig

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you don't have enough Reader's Digest to strangle a dictionary... Razz
NeurOde

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nullex wrote:
NeurOde wrote:

http://news.google.com/
http://www.commondreams.org/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/
http://www.zeldman.com/
http://www.wildfirejo.blogspot.com/

Go to town!

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
Northstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the desk of Darbolt Halle:

Dear Chamton,

As I continue to investigate the case I told you about, I am finding some very strange things. The case has led me to the lawless under-levels of Sharn. A desolate place, not in any way becoming of a vacation spot. Down there I have encountered, for the first time in my life, the abominations known as the undead.

I know a little of undead from my studies at Morgrave, but never studied the things extensively, by any means. They do not seem a common occurrence in the city of Sharn. Did you ever have cases involving the living dead? They are awful. The stenches they exude are dreadful. They fight past the point of reason, after taking wounds that have left them nearly non-intact. I am not sure that I am cut out for this case. We have not found anything in this mansion that gives us further evidence as to the doings of this organization, yet this mansion is our only lead, so we continue to explore it.

I am not cut out for the exploration of this mansion. I have never fought a thing in my life, and now suddenly I find myself at best able to inform my teammates of weaknesses in the opponent's forms and strategies, while they dispatch of the undead. I am lucky that some of my teammates are actually quite adept combatants.

The MAN named Rye I had told you about is actually quite an impressive warrior. He still lacks a good deal of common sense, but has proven quite effective at destroying the lifeless forms we have encountered. Torvik, as well, who was able to wield a weapon that devastated the rotting forms we encountered.

Torvik and Rye have shown themselves quite capable of dealing with the problems in these houses. They work quickly and employ intelligent battle strategems to efficiently eliminate foes.

G'eon, not near as effective as Torvik and Rye, seems in any case to have been in a fight or two. He was often able to position himself in ways that distracted the foes, giving both himself and our companions open opportunities to strike the enemy.

Overall, the three of them work amazingly well together to isolate and eliminate opponents quickly and efficiently. I feel useless in this case, as it has called for almost none of my talents and skills. I am simply a hindrance so far. If there are no further leads in this mansion, then the case will have to be closed until such time as more evidence comes to light.

By the Three,

Darbolt
Nullex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'eon is feeling a bit uneasy after the last excursion to the haunted inn. Not only is he feeling a little, how should we say, less than himself, but he's also questioning whether or not to continue adventuring in the manner in which he has.

Although experienced in skirmishing, G'eon's style of combat has been severely impaired over the last few fights. He's knowledgable in ways in which to strike an opponent's vital areas, but that training had little effect on the last few opponents. Against those creatures, those undead, his blows seemed useless.

As a whole, however, the group seemed slightly better off. Rye's powerful blows, when they would land, were quite potent against the creatures, resistant to wounds or not. Darbolt seemed quite unfamiliar with combat of this intensity, for he was ineffective, save his potent observation and coaching skills. Through the use of his...peculiar magic (G'eon's still getting used to artificing), Torvik was by far the most effective of the lot. His mighty mace, when adequately imbued, was able to crush the undead assailants efficiently. If only Torvik was more martially-oriented...

All in all, the group is definitely well on their way to fighting cohesively together. G'eon is really starting to realize the importance of his mobility and ability to get behind foes to aid others in combat as well as strike sensitive areas of his opponents more effectively. G'eon hopes, however, that this contigent of undead isn't a sign of things to come, but is only a rare cadre of abominations.
Kyndig

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflecting over the few battles he had been in over the past few days, Rye felt a little uneasy. He hadn't fought skeletons and other undead before and the confirmation (he had always heard stories) of their existance unnerved him a bit.

They fell, thanks largely in part to Torvik's tricks. He was able to heroically channel energy into his weapon that hurt the undead much more than Rye's sword. If Torvik is able to continue to pull tricks out of his sleeve, this group has a better chance at staying alive.

G'eon was pretty ineffectual in combat. He told Rye later that for G'eon to be effective, the opponent needs to have a backbone. It made sense; after all, G'eon was all about sticking people in sneaky places.

Darbolt was ok in combat. He tried to help by telling everyone where to stick things and what strategies might hurt the opponents best. It did help a little bit. And Rye is sure that he'll get better. He hopes...

As a whole, the group held up ok. With Rye being the raw fire power, Torvik offering targeted support, G'eon issuing targeted removal, and Darbolt offering global support, this group has a chance in hell of surviving.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> Eberron Campaign All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: