Campaign HQ Forum Index Campaign HQ
Chat about RPGs

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Rank SystemRank System   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Campaign HQ    The Company of the Bright Star Campaign    Vampire

Valenar Elven Dervish

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> Eberron Campaign
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northstar
Here dragon, dragon, dragon!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Valenar Elven Dervish Reply with quote

Valenar Elven Dervish

This elf has been tringing all his life to be ready to defend the Ancendant Couselors from those who would defile the lands of the elves. However, his elders began to notice that his pursuits were beginning to hone him into a deadly weapon. And if one did not find a use for a weapon, it would grow dull, and rust. So, this elf was sent as a guard with a high-risk diplomatic mission to Aerenal. While on the way, the convoy was attacked by a large force of humans and orcs of great power. The entire convoy was captured. Taken deep into the heart of Khorvaire, they were kept for weeks on end, until a member of the convoy broke out, and freed as many of the elves as he could. This chanacter was one freed. He found the elf he was sent to protect, and they made their escape. they journeyed to the Towers of Sharn, and their arranged passage back to Valenar. As they waited, they were ambushed by a faction of their captors from within the city, and the character's charge was killed. He now refuses to return home until he has found and killed those responsible for his disgrace.

1) Desert Elven Dervish

Str 10 Dex 18 Con 12 Int 15 Wis 10 Cha 8

Desert Elves get Valenar Couble Scimitar as a racial weapon, which this character uses.

1) Swashbuckler - Weapon Finesse, Dodge
2) Fighter - Mobility
3) Swashbuckler - Weapon Focus(Valenar Double Scimitar), Grace +1

Here the character is only so hot. He uses the VDS with only one side, as he lacks two weapon fighting right now. He does 1d6 with a hit. Progression as follows:

4) Fighter - Combat Expertise (+1Int)
5) Swashbuckler - Insightful Strike
6) Dervish - Two-Weapon Fighting, Dervish Dance 1/day, Movement Mastery, Slashing Blades
7) Dervish - Fast movement +5
Cool Dervish - Spring Attack, dervish dance 2/day (+1 Dex)
9) Dervish - Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Dance of Death
10) Dervish - Fast Movement +10, Dervish Dance 2/day
11) Dervish - Improved Reaction
12) Dervish - Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Elaborate Parry, Dervish Dance 4/day, (+1 Dex)

So, at this point, the average damage is 1d6 +3. However, in a Dervish dance this becomes 1d6 + 7 with six attacks. He can Dervish 4 times a day for 7 rounds at a time.

So there's that character.
Kyndig

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build.

I'd consider dropping Wisdom to 8 and bumping Str to 12. With a 10 Str, you're going to be flirting with encumbrance. Or even this:

Str 14
Dex 14 -> 16
Con 14 -> 12
Int 16
Wis 8
Chr 8

Then put all of your Abillity Points into Dex and you'll have 19 at 12th in time to grab Greater Two Weapon. This is just another build. Or this:

Str 12
Dex 16 -> 18
Con 12 -> 10
Int 16
Wis 8
Chr 8

Then by 12th you have 19 dex and 18 Int.

Can you finesse a Valenar Couble Scimitar? If not, I'd go with two regular scimitars. (I imagine that you can finesse it, otherwise why take that levels in Swashbuckler?). You DEFINTIELY want to make use of Insightful Strike with this build: Getting +4 to damage with every hit (REGARDLESS of main or off hand) is incredible. It's a pumpable Weapon Specialization... Twisted Evil

What about human? The extra feat could be nice... (Imp Crit, Power Crit)

Thoughts?
Northstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Elves get -2 Str and +2 Dex. Hence my Str drops during creation, but my Con doesn't.

Also, I guess I am sort of extrapolating that slashing blades would make a valenar double scimitar have each end count as light, since each end is a scimitar. I know that's a stretch, but it is primarily something I wanna do for flavor. I mean, without going power attack, it really doesn't matter too much whether I have one weapon or two. The double scimitar is just cooler in general.

OK, that's just my two cents. Yeah, I'll look at ways to take more advantage of insightful strike.

Nathan
Nullex

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if you can't finesse a double scimitar, I don't know whether it'd be worth it to go Swashbuckler. You wouldn't be able to apply your dex to attacks with it, nor would you be able to get the benefits of insightful strike.
Northstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things considered, I don't think I'll be going with the Dervish(sorry Stevie!)

Nathan
Kyndig

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, that's TOTALLY fine. It leaves it open for my character barring Rye's untimely demise.
NeurOde

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyndig wrote:
Dude, that's TOTALLY fine. It leaves it open for my character barring Rye's untimely demise.

All hail the noble back-up character!
Northstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hail! Hail!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> Eberron Campaign All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: