Campaign HQ Forum Index Campaign HQ
Chat about RPGs

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Rank SystemRank System   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Campaign HQ    The Company of the Bright Star Campaign    Vampire

Map update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> The Company of the Bright Star Campaign Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tykeal
Here dragon, dragon, dragon!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been in contact with the author of my graphics program and have gotten a couple of the bugs fixed. So now I can show everyone what the textured version looks like:

www.bardicgrove.org/~tykeal/graphics

I have yet to produce a PDF of this (I'm probably going to have to borrow memory for my computer again to try) because there still seems to be some issues with the PostScript. For some reason it seems that the PS viewers I have all think my textures are negatives or something... it looks really weird.

[ This Message was edited by: tykeal on 2001-06-12 11:55 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Locksley
I'm a Dragon and that's OK...
I'm a Dragon and that's OK...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your link is busted, buddy. Graphics isn't spelled correctly.
tykeal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I've fixed it.

Since you caught the error I'm sure you still managed to get over and take a look, what did you think of the textured map?

Shadowlord

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice map. Looks good to me. Now I can find my way to Ravensport. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Razputyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map looks great!! Are we going to try and get the thing postered again?

tykeal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... not right now. I want to get a couple of other things done to it. I've just changed the coastline and river colors to be a pale blue, and added a light green tint to the texture around the Moors.

There are a couple of other things I'm considering doing and then I'll slap another pic online for folks and also see what happens when I squeeze it into a PDF.

Razputyn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2001 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think that it can actually be squeezed into pdf format? Last time you tried it devoured your computer's resources....and most of mine too. Smile

-Raz

tykeal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2001 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I think we'll still be seeing it devore resources. Of course part of that problem might have been the error in the PS files for all I know.

tykeal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, another update to the map. This one is the one that is currently entitled "aldurian-full-textured2". Changes between this one and the previous textured map are:

• The Moors now have a light green over tint
  • The font has been changed up to be something less... hmm... computeresq
  • The coast and rivers are now the same color, this color is a pale blue as opposed to the dark blue of what the rivers were
  • I've moved the labels on a couple of the villages to be a bit more readable by reducing the places I've got rotated text

As is currently always the case the graphic is available at www.bardicgrove.org/~tykeal/graphics

I still haven't tried a PDF of this yet, I don't want to go scavenging memory from the roommates just now, we'll see about sometime in the near future. I still don't know why I get such weird results when viewing the PS though, maybe it's just the PS viewers that I've got.

[ This Message was edited by: tykeal on 2001-06-14 01:18 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Shadowlord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Looks good. Very Cool.

Why No, I didn't learn about complete sentances in school.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tykeal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like all the memory issues I was having with generating the PDF's was because I was running a rather old version of ghostscript *sigh*. New version works very well, in fact I can do the generation completely (with textures even) on my machine without having to scavenge memory from others.

So with that said, I've got the second textured map available as a PDF now. Here's the location: www.bardicgrove.org/~tykeal/distributables

A note on this file. It's HUGE. It weighs in at 12MB and when I pulled it up on Steve's machine (PIII 9something with 512MB RAM) it was taking forever to render to display. I fact the screen went to blank and it hadn't even started to display any of the line drawings yet it was just finishing off texturing the land area.

Needless to say, since the screen blanked when I un-blanked it a refresh was called and it started back at the start *grumble*.

I don't think this is likely to be used for anything but printing at a print shop folks, but it's there if you want.

DMShoe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.

I really like the font, too.

-DMShoe
Razputyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh My!!! It is HUGE!!!! But I do like the way it looks. Both the ice and water look more distinct now...yeah!!

When, if at all, are you planning on sending this to Kinko's to have made into poster maps? I would sure like to get my hands on a copy!

-Raz

tykeal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You like that font? I found a few at this site. There are the Forgoten Realms fonts available there. Though Thorass (common) is trademarked by TSR and so the version there is a umm... rendition.

I don't remember where I found that font. It's called Caeldera. The Kings Tears site (up above) has another font that I didn't download that might have also been kind of fun... it's called Rune English. It's has a decidedly Norse rune feel, but it is fairly readable.

[ This Message was edited by: tykeal on 2001-06-15 00:25 ]
tykeal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ok I've updated the second textured graphic with a change I think adds quite a bit to the map. I've textured the areas in which I originally had those really funky looking stick figure trees Smile

Here's the URL www.bardicgrove.org/~tykeal/graphics/

[update]
I've now updated the PDF (though why I keep this up when I'm not going to the print shop anytime soon I don't know). It's now a hefty 14MB.

www.bardicgrove.org/~tykeal/distributables
[/update]

[ This Message was edited by: tykeal on 2001-06-15 18:03 ]
tykeal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally updated the map with the newest town name. I've also pulled down the flat-shaded version as it's annoying to try and keep to different version going. However, if people want the flat-shaded version I can always spit own back out.

On another note in reguards to the map, I've boiled the name down to just aldurian instead of aldurian-full-textured or anything. I figure as I haven't gotten any complaints on my artistic additions to the north shore of the main continent they've become rather permenant Wink

As always they can be gotten at both the Bright Star Campaign site and on my Graphics site.

[ This Message was edited by: tykeal on 2001-09-12 20:56 ]
tykeal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated the map again. The PDF for those that care now weighs in at 20MB up from 14.5 and all I did was add in Del Ratton, Ru Ratton and Mons Ferrite *sigh*.

One other note. The PDF is not as easy to read now because it's rotated -90 due to some limitations with ghostscript. Since I reinstalled last I haven't edited the paper size options to give me the landscaped archC size and so I used a rotater script to just rotate the page onto the default archC definition. Sorry if it annoys you Wink
DMShoe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.

Now I can put the Elven Forest into the Recycle Bin! (or is it the other way around?)

Either way, I now have a new desktop background.

-DMShoe
tykeal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thanks if you actually think it's worthy of being a desktop background Very Happy
DMShoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the colors are quite good for background colors - soft blue and beige. And there isn't alot of visual noise on the map.

Plus, it keeps me thinking about the setting when I catch a glimpse of the map.

I just need to set my windows colors to approximate the map - the XP Silver and Olive color schemes don't quite do it. (though olive is close) You wouldn't happen to know the RGB values for the colors, would you?

-DMShoe
tykeal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not off the top of my head but I could find out when I get home today. MSPaint doesn't let me pick out the values Wink
tykeal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's a rough approximation on the colors for you:

The oceans and seas are around #97a3c8 or 151,163,200 depending upon the color system your playing with.

The land is around #e0d6b6 or 224,214,182

The forests are around: #8ea37b or 142,163,123

The ice from the Great Ice is around #eee7f8 or 238,231,248

Hope that helps Smile
tykeal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dez mentioned to me last night at the session that the PDF was broken (at least to Acrobat under Windows). I took a look at it while I had some time to kill today and, yes your right it was rather broken. I should have known that since the newest version of ghostscript (see earlier comments on initial memory leak fix) fixed other problems it was likely to fix this one as well.

So, since my box is a much newer install of RedHat since my last major distilling efforts I was yet again running an "older" version. *sigh* Needless to say, I'll be making sure I'm always using the freshest Aladdin and not GNU's version of ghostscript from now on.

So with that all out of the way. I've re-distilled the PDF and interestingly the file size shrank (new version of ghostscript is much better) to 16.2MB down from the 20MB it was at. Enjoy.

tykeal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note. Since DMShoe has got me starting to work on setting up the ground work for an Aldurian gazateer I've made some minor modifications and updates to the map.

I've also re-distilled the lastest incarnation.
DMShoe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, Tyke -- That big, currently featureless region in the Southeast across the sea?

Desert.

Though jungle begins straight south of the islands south of Brunlaga.

-DMShoe
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> The Company of the Bright Star Campaign Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: