Campaign HQ Forum Index Campaign HQ
Chat about RPGs

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Rank SystemRank System   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Campaign HQ    The Company of the Bright Star Campaign    Vampire

Arena Strategies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zenwolf
Here dragon, dragon, dragon!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Arena Strategies Reply with quote

I moved this into a new topic
-------------------------------------------

Attempt to summarize learning from 8.04:
  • If there is a Healer other than a Pally, send main DPS on him.
  • If there is a mage, send warrior on him to keep him occupied while two other folks kill the healer.
  • CC one of the DPS classes, like a warrior or a hunter.
  • If there are two healer-types, CC one and kill the other.

Let's keep an overview of what worked and what didn't, as well as an analysis of which skills are working and which aren't for the greater good.

Also, apparently you get a fair ranking penalty for losing to a team with a worse rank than your team has. I don't think this really applies to us at the moment, but it's useful to note for the future.
Zenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Available CCs to Team Terminus Est:
  • Fear (Xuul)
  • Death Coil (Xuul)
  • Entangling Roots (Jhaelas)
  • Cyclone (Jhaelas)
  • AOE Fear (Kaeden) -useable once per fight.
Locksley
I'm a Dragon and that's OK...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that druid CC is slower than dogshit to cast.
Zenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the new Veteran's pieces compliment the Arena set. For example, the Veteran's Plate Greaves, Veteran's Plate bracers, and Veteran's Plate Belt have the same visual style as the Merciless Gladiator's Battlegear set.

There is also a Veteran's Pendant and a Veteran's Band that are pretty good.

So if you do Battlegrounds in your spare time, you can get some cool rewards now and their visual style will match the current Gladiator sets.
Zenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I have discovered that there are some insanely powerful things that you can do by programming a few macros.

In the spirit of sharing, I have found some things for you guys:

Macros in General:
http://www.wowwiki.com/index.php?title=Making_a_macro

Druids:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Useful_macros/Druid

Warlocks:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Useful_macros/Warlock

Enjoy.
Locksley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic, Kaeden! Thank you! I firmly believe speed is the name of the game in PVP but I've lacked the skill to automate it. On the plus side, it's nice to see that their recommendations are my opening sequences spell for spell, so at least I know my job. I'll add these in and test them out. Sweet!
Zenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated Strats courtesy of new Feral goodness:
  • Everyone focus on a single target to knock it out faster.
  • CC a DPS class.
  • If a pet attacks the caster, kill the pet ASAP since it effectively CCs the caster. This will also 99% of the time significantly weaken the hunter.
  • Kill the healer.
  • Keep CCing a DPS class if possible.
  • For paladins, if they bubble you have to ignore it and kill something else.
  • Ignore warriors until other DPS is down, since attacking a warrior gives them more rage, and more rage = more DPS.
  • Some other stuff I can't remember at the moment.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic Strats:
http://wow.tentonhammer.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=800

A few strats in here may be useful in some contexts:
http://www.psychoticworld.com/arena-pvp-guide/
Zenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of respeccing to include the following abilities:

Piercing Howl
10 Rage
Instant
Causes all enemies near the warrior to be Dazed, reducing movement speed by 50% for 6 sec.

Improved Hamstring Rank 3
Gives your Hamstring ability a 15% chance to immobilize the target for 5 sec.

Let me know if you think these are worthy or useful for our current group (I think they may be).

Link to full spec:

Thanks,
Kaeden
Locksley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the biggest differences between this week in last was the fact that there was no healing. Even a small HoT can add up to a victory if it helps someone hang on JUUUUUST a bit longer.

Jhaelas's balance/resto spec provided a lot of boom and a fair amount of healing.

Everything I've read suggests druids in Arena are Resto. Blizzard's aware how badly feral and balance druids are faring in Arena and probably a few changes are coming down the pike, but for now, we're stuck with what we've got. Let me contemplate a few things when I get home tonight. *sigh* In 2 more weeks, I'll have enough points for great shoulders or gloves. I could put on the resto mantle. I put my tailoring spec into Primal Mooncloth tailoring already, so it wouldn't be a big stretch. I can't go back to Spellfire tailoring because, frankly, I can't afford to go back to relearn that.

Healing and CC might be the ticket.
Zenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that when I am in a battleground and there is a druid, priest, paladin, or shaman in my group and they focus on healing me, I can go for insanely long periods of time racking up the kills. It really is amazing. Otherwise, I die really fast unless it's 1 on 1. *whimper*
Zenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locksley wrote:
Everything I've read suggests druids in Arena are Resto. Blizzard's aware how badly feral and balance druids are faring in Arena and probably a few changes are coming down the pike, but for now, we're stuck with what we've got....

Yes, I believe you. I think it's the same for a few other classes, if not all of them. Warrior has to be Arms, Warlocks have to be Demonology, Hunters have to be Beastmastery, Priests Shadow, etc..
Zenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resto Druid PvP Guide
Zenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent some time thinking about arena strategies with a druid healer. Please bear with me.

What the druid should do if under Melee attack (otherwise, continue to CC and heal):
  1. Consider wearing 50% tank gear for arena. Healing will be slightly gimped, but druid will survive longer which may be more important.
  2. CC the desired opponent.
  3. Select the desired opponent to kill so warrior can assist.
  4. Cast a HoT on himself.
  5. Switch to bear form to absorb the damage better until melee attacker is dead.
  6. Re-CC the CCd target as needed.

What the Warrior should do:
  1. Get opponent by acquiring the target of the druid.
  2. Fear if multiple melee attackers on druid.
  3. Kill the druid's target.
  4. Assist with killing enemy healer.
  5. Kill CCd target.

What the Warlock should do:
  1. Fear the enemy healer if it's a Paladin, otherwise coordinate with druid to continuously CC a target.
  2. Attack the enemy Healer if it's NOT a Paladin, otherwise assist the druid and the warrior to kill their target.
  3. Re-fear the Paladin.
  4. Kill CCd target.
Zenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jhaelas, not sure if you know this or not but in Arena Season 3 the original Gladiator's season 1 armor will be available for purchase with standard honor by anybody. This means that it may be prudent to save the arena points to buy any season 2 gear if you can, even if it means saving your points for use during season 3.
Locksley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, though I have 700 honor points, so that may not be all that spiffy. We'll see. I'm definitely not buying anything until the season ends and I'll decide from there.
Locksley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of the opinion that we're being too reactive. Instead of taking the initiative, we're (typically) letting the other guys come to us. I think we need to change that.

Rather than giving them time to plan out how to deal with us, let's roll into them hard and fast. Consider...

Jhaelas stealthily zips across the arena while Kaeden comes roaring across. Xuul has targeted the healer and sends them off on a nice healthy jog. Kaeden and Jhaelas FF on a target while Xuul tosses DoTs and sends the Felguard either to help implement a savage beatdown or use it to intercept attacks on himself. Presumably target 2 will be attacking Kaeden or Jhaelas (presumably the druid since its an easier target). If melee, they get rooted by Nature's Grasp and Kaeden and Jhaelas move just beyond range and continue attacking until Target 1 is dead.

Xuul refears healer. Jhaelas pops into caster form, barkskins, and Tranquilities the group. Kaeden intercepts the next target. Xuul and Jhaelas DOT, Felguard joins fight, Kaeden smacks. Jhaelas throws a Cyclone on the healer while Xuul is continuing the damage and Target 2 goes down.

FF on the 3rd target with Jhaelas primarily providing healing support at this point.

Variations on the theme...
-Both groups run into each other headfirst...Kaeden breaks up the cluster with his AoE fear, then all FF on the first target, fearing the healer when they come back, and FF through the trio. Again, after the first kill, Jhaelas pops out, heals the team, and we continue on with our savage beatdown.

-Melee, healer, caster: Jhaelas roots the melee unit, then drops into combat against the primary target while Xuul fears the caster and Kaeden interrupts the healer until we've got it dead. Then reroot melee unit, FF on the caster, and clean up.

-Our most hated foe: The rogue. Rogues get a special level of hate on them and really do need to go first. A healer can be feared, but rogues have too much in the way of disruption to let them stay on the field. Rogues will show up by ambush, probably on Xuul if Jhaelas is stealthed. Kaeden has to intercept the rogue and give Jhaelas time to Faerie Fire it, root/cyclone another unit, and then get back into the fight on the rogue. Once the rogue goes down, we take on the healer.

The main points are:
* move in fast to prevent them from coming up with clever ideas to thwart our efforts.
* FF on a single target to turn the 3v3 to a 3v2 situation. Life becomes a lot easier at that point.
* When our plan goes to hell, break up their plan with AoE fear, seize a single target and obliterate it.
* Our first target will always be the healer, unless it's a paladin. Then the target will be the caster/dps unit. Once they're down, then we'll turn our attention to the next caster/dps unit and then finally kill the paladin. If it's not a paladin, the healer dies first, then the next clothy, and finally the last target.

We don't need to talk about it. The doors open, Kaeden quickly scans the baddies...calls out the first target, and off we go. In the infantry school, squads are quickly taught that in an ambush situation, you don't hunker down and return fire. You counterattack at once rather than fighting from their chosen battlefield. Hard-won experience has shown that this saves lives.

I'm hoping this helps us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> PvP All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: