Campaign HQ Forum Index Campaign HQ
Chat about RPGs

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Rank SystemRank System   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Campaign HQ    The Company of the Bright Star Campaign    Vampire

A Prayer for Aegis...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
almostrevtev
Here dragon, dragon, dragon!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: A Prayer for Aegis... Reply with quote

Aegis finally relaxed into his bed at the crowded shelter that passed for the Inn amongst the Host-forsaken town, his thoughts muddled. Exhausted from his efforts to see as many of the injured, shell-shocked citizens of the town, Aegis allowed his eyes to fall, leading him into prayer. As he prayed, he reflected on the day. His first encounter with the undead since discovering the power he could wield as a Lightbringer left him flushed with adrenalin. Now, in the dark, as weariness rapidly replaced the surge of energy, he felt cold fear knot in his gut.

He knew that becoming ever more powerful in his healing arts as a Jorasco House Priest was his calling. New knowledge revealed itself to him every day as he became ever more aware of the body's intricacies. This knowledge seemed to well up inside him...not so much learned or discovered, but blooming out of the fertile soil of his being. Working with a team like the Sons of Khorvaire was challenging him in different ways than he imagined, but the fruits of his efforts were plentiful.

So why were his nightclothes dripping from cold sweat?

The inkling rolling around the back of his head finally crept into the light of his mind's eye...how long would he be able to be both healer and bringer of justice to the scourge that was once again rising in his land? Aegis paused visibly at this realization. How was this land his? As his life-giving powers grew, he knew that his connection to life itself was resonating with all living things in his awareness. The land, and all living things were connected to him, part of him. But how would he grow as a destroyer of undead that threatened all life? As more and more of his talents were bent toward healing, connecting more and more deeply to life, he shivered as he realized he wasn't going to grow in power against the undead. How would he be able to scourge the scourge? What good is a light bringer who cannot bring light?

The thought haunted him, infuriated him, and wound its way around his anticipation of the coming confrontation with whatever awaited them at the church. Aegis knew firsthand the seductive power of the power of necromancy, and heard again his initial reaction when he learned that the scourge in the area emerged from the same church where the local priest had unexpectedly lost his son. He wondered if he would be able to resist the urge to use the power flowing through him to save a beloved child, even if it meant falling from grace. This was a thought that he could not have even acknowledged a few weeks ago.

His objections and fears around this wound tighter as he realized that this had nothing to do with his over-developed sense of legal justice borne of all his studies. This revulsion against the undead was due not to a breach of law of any country he knew. This revulsion was a direct reaction in his bones against pure evil, even as he acknowledged the life-giving the local priest had done when he was a servant of good. He could feel the iron in his guts cooling into determination as this realization cemented. He knew that he would go to any lengths to obliterate the scourge, even as he felt the pain of losing the idealized sense of justice that he had always been comforted by. Doing good in the face of evil at any cost was not going to allow him the luxury of a clear conscience.

As his thoughts bent toward prayer, he pleaded with the Host, visibly wrought with pain as he begged for clarity that escaped him, wisdom to know when to save and when to destroy, and especially the power to make that wisdom a reality. He called the Host to show him how to grow in power in destruction of evil to compliment his exponentially increasing healing power, his Mark throbbing and glowing. As his prayers settled into their familiar rhythms, his heart warmed and found renewed strength, even as his racing mind refused to return to its previous ease-filled clarity.

Resigned to his fate as a healing warrior for all that is good, Aegis wished his clear conscience a blessed farewell, and braced himself for troubled dreams...

his dreams did not disappoint him...

-Mikal's journal, 1000 YK

Last edited by almostrevtev on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
almostrevtev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aegis awoke in the deep black of night with a start, rubbing the back of his head with his right hand where his head had hit the bed when he jerked awake. He looked down and saw his left hand gripping the sheets as though his life depended on it...what had he been dreaming about? As he willed his hand to open, flashes of the dream flooded back. He and the Sons had been surrounded by undead seeking them at the command of a powerful, shadowy figure that flitted about at the edge of his consciousness. Ien and Kane fell, and in a move of desperation, even as the scourge pressed in, Beacon had grabbed his two fallen comrads and sheltered them with his own body while Aegis commanded blinding sunlight into the space and began using every spell at his disposal against the overwhelming flood of lifeless animate flesh.

The ground under his feet shook at the power of his spells, or so he thought, but the scourge pressed in all the more. Opening his eyes, Aegis saw the ground splitting between his feet, not from his power, but a lack thereof. He was going to be consumed, to become that which he abhorred. the crack widened, and his brothers slipped into the waiting abyss, only to be snatched by his left hand. Aegis watched his hand move with a strength that was not his own, grasping Beacon's armor at the back of his neck while Ien and Kane dangled from Beacon's massive manipulators. But he could do no more. Paralyzed, Aegis tried to heal them, to no avail. He tried to turn the abominations breathing the foul stench into his lungs, but again, to no effect. He was drained, and could not even choose what to focus on. The damage he dealt was brushed off as a fly. He had the healing power, but couldn't buy the time to use it. Something trickled down his back...too slow to be sweat...as he turned, the mouth that greeted his gaze drooled again...he felt himself scream before feeling vanished...

Remembering the dream gave rise to a new cold sweat. Would the host be so cruel as to force him to decide between two goods: healing his brothers or eradicating the scourge?

Pleading over and over with the Host to grant him the clarity, wisdom, and the power to give life even as he destroyed the false life of these abominations with more veracity, Aegis repeated his prayers, finding solace, but no comfort, as he longed to return to sleep...and when he finally slipped into sleep again, he wished he hadn't...

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On his way to bed, Aegis asked Beacon to inscribe the following Holy Text from the Lightbringers Holy Book on the back of his shield:

Where there is death, I bring life,
Where there is false life, I deliver true peace,
Where there is darkness, I am the light…

He made his way to his room, listening to the comforting sounds of Beacon’s scraping in the background. Aegis consciously released the pent-up tension in his weary muscles as he reclined in the old, beautiful bed. Although well-worn, it remained more than comfortable.

The confrontation with the Blaspheme confirmed his worst fears. It had been a close thing. And he had to choose. Life for the Sons or death for the scourge. This time, death to the undead abominations had also meant life for his brothers, but would he be that lucky again? Losing Ashlyn shook him to the bone. How had he allowed that to happen. Anger rose in the pit of his being. He was becoming more powerful and more creative with his healing gifts. But he couldn't save Ashlyn, and he could feel his power to return the undead to peace falling behind. And his patience for the evil of undeath was fading faster than he was growing in power. He tried to imagine if there was a spell he wouldn’t cast, a cost he wouldn’t pay to erase them from the earth. No law would bind him when he came into contact with the evil and those who created it. The death of the cleric should have bothered him more than it did. He was fairly sure that Ien had dispatched him, without any due process at all. But the man had become evil and twisted. The time for the patience of law was fading. The time for action in the face of evil was rising.

But how could he respond? He clung to his knees, rocking, as this plea, this burning question became his prayer for the night. He physically wrestled with the Host, pleading for clarity, power, and wisdom, finally settling into the rhythm of his nightly prayers, feeling comforted, but still restless.

What dire choice awaited him this night in his dreams?

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=300267555538#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=350112357885#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=350113711697#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=350114190533#ebayphotohosting

these mini's are on their way (won't be here for a week, but hey)

any thoughts on which one might fit Aegis best?

yarn recommended the one hiding behind his shield...which makes sense...lol

NeurOde

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of those options, I'd go with the shield-hider or the halfling.

Freedom is coming, oh yes, I know...
almostrevtev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

NeurOde

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also find a more representative mini through some of the pewter miniature companies. Try a google search for "gaming miniatures" or something similar.

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep trying...I searched for 3 hours the other night, and these were the best I could find...

NeurOde

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever try Reaper Miniatures?

repearmini.com

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep....I looked at their stuff quite a bit...I'll check it again...

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sister candice looks good...or the egyptian sorceress....

hehe...i gotta hang out with the models for these things...

but seriously...

tolzar cleric might work...but i'm just not all that impressed with any for portraying aegis...although they've got a lot of cool mini's

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I just got the leveling underway for 8th level (I know that's a ways away, but I like to have it ready cuz it takes me so long)....Aegis is about to become nutty fun

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and now back to our programming...

collapsing from the rigor of the atonement ritual, Aegis fell into dreams immediately. He battle undead the size of cities...healed entire villages...banished diseases from existence...and vanquished demons, slamming the door behind them...

but all the time, the bat-wolf shadow of Strahd lingered on the edge of his consciousness. His dreams took the form of epic feats, and he grew in power with each one. He had become the tool of the Host that he knew few would ever realize. As he watched for the millionth time in his mind as Kane delivered the death blow to the dwarf, Aegis finally had a response. As the dwarf fell, bleeding, Aegis spoke a word of power. And the former hunter began to shine with golden light. His body lifted from the earth, floating level with Kane's shocked eyes, glowing like the sun. The trapper began spinning, so quickly that the motion became a blur, soon just becoming a sphere of light...and the pulsing became regular, and his deeds began to project from the essence of his soul onto the ground between Aegis and Kane. As the deeds shone before them, like some kind of ghostly play, the dwarf's life played backward. Deeds of evil, deeds against nature dominated at first. And with each evil action, Aegis twisted his hand, and the deed was undone with a flash of light. Slowly, a pattern emerged. Events had driven this creature, twisted him from the playful, hopeful boy who loved the solitude of the woods and found comfort in the company of animals of all shapes and sizes. While this was not popular for many dwarf tribes, Kane was touched as the creature he had slain took shape as more than a straw man. Slowly, the light faded, and as it gradually dimmed, the dwarf had disappeared, and the dust of his existence settled to the musty cave floor. He had been freed from his many sins...sent into the afterlife as the boy he was. Aegis knew that Kane had to end the dwarf's life. He did not blame him. But justice was not Aegis's quest...goodness was his concern...his lips moved as he pled with the Host to grant him clarity, power, and wisdom, and spoke in his sleep:

Where there is death, I bring life,
Where there is false life, I deliver true peace,
Where there is darkness, I am the light…

Would the Host finally answer his prayer? Would he finally be empowered to unleash the destructive power of the light as he knew he could? Would he finally gain clarity for when to undo false life or make his brothers whole? The Host must surely be listening...lest Strahd be the last word...

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as the claws of the demon ruptured into his body, Aegis knew he was dying. He saw lights swirling around him, and slowly realized that they weren't some easing of the pain into a gentle death....far from it....it was the Eldritch Energy that burned through his body, blackening his very soul...as this thought emerged, he felt his being explode...into nothing...

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but then something...

something vibrating in his bones....or at least where his bones should be...but they weren't where they should be...but his very being was vibrating...blinding light seared him, his skin burning....at least that was familiar, he thought wryly, remembering his death....wait

the vibrations intensified, driving out thought

he knew he had died...

why was he experiencing and feeling again?

the vibrating peaked, disorienting him to the point that there was no ground

wait...is there ground? is there an afterlife?

the vibration became a flash of white hot lightning and his bones, flesh and spirit all vibrated faster than lightning moved....but there was no sense of time...so what was speed...it was a hummmm....that became a scream

the shock gasped his eyes open, blinding him again....a familiar voice "Welcome"

as his blurry vision began to return to normal, Aegis was astounded...his sight became better than "normal"

he reached up to take Kane's hand, wondering what had happened, and he noticed that Kane's hand felt different...but as he looked, Kane's hand was the same as it ever was...but his own...was not his own...it felt different...differently...everything felt different...ly...he could feel everything with more intensity...his hearing was deafened by normal sounds...his eyes could see into the darkest corners...his skin tasted the wind and air...hi realized that he had over-reached when he held out a hand to Kane....because his arm was longer...

the slowly dawning sun in the back of his mind shone forth intensely

he was an elf

panicked, his eyes frantically sought out his Dragonmarked chest...who would he be?

his mark still vibrated...but his new vision could slow the vibrations...at least in perception...and he could see the Mark of Shadow alternating with the Mark of Healing...

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the vibrating began to slow....and the marks alternated slower and slower...he could feel them both...they were both real...both part of him...the question was which one would he have...and when?

the shifting slowed...and stopped on the mark of shadow...and then it faded into his skin, like it had been spent...

it really shouldn't surprise him that his reincarnation had consequences...but his awe was evident at each and every thing that was different. As he stood up, he felt the need to check to make sure he could straighten all the way up...not because of anything in the room...just because he was a foot taller now...

smiling, he finally embraced his brothers....rejoicing that he was still alive...or alive once again...

as the story unfolded, Aegis felt a hatred for undead and all evil creatures burning brightly within him....hotter and brighter than ever before...he started glowing...

he was born anew...and his path was clearer than ever...but would the Host answer his prayers now?

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a day...reincarnated...as an elf...if that wasn't enough...madame eva's words hung around him. While she was able to accept his change, even one as wise as she had a difficult time with it. Aegis wondered if he should just change his name...he was no longer who people thought he was....but for now, slumping and keeping his cloak pulled over his head in public seemed the best choice...people knew he had undergone an ordeal...they were curious...but he didn't have to satisfy their curiousity...

what would they find in the castle tomorrow? as he prayed, this thought hung in the air around him, thick as smoke...at least his dragonmark had remained faithful, he thought. So much had changed for him...his own basis for belief, his own body, his own purpose...these changes rippled to his core...as he prayed to strengthen his ties to the Host, he noted how differently he was preparing his magic. So much of his power was bent toward boosting and protecting...it struck fear into his heart to think that his power to destroy the undead that they would face in the castle was fading...he pled with the Host again for clarity, power, and wisdom...

as the words shaped themselves on his lips, the vibrating began...accompanied by the humming...Aegis felt his marked chest burning with divine power...he eyes burst open as he tore his shirt open to look at his mark...

it was flashing again...so fast that his old eyes would have just seen a bright white blur...but his elven sight could see the mark of shadow becoming the mark of healing becoming the mark of shadow...over and over again....until a final burst of light seared him....and the mark of healing stayed.

aegis collapsed, tears welling up in his eyes...would even his mark betray him?

he cried until he had no moisture left in his body....this whole experience...why? the Host could hear him...they blessed him with power every single day...but why wouldn't they answer his pleas for help with his pitiful power to destroy the abominations that plagued this land? why would the Host allow even his Mark to change? such a thing was unheard of...never in all the archives had he read of such an event...

but for today...he was a healer still...he would prepare for that task...and maybe...he would begin recalling all he knew about the Mark of Shadow...if his mark, too had shifted, he would need to spend some time making it work to protect the Sons. what if it shifted and stayed as the Mark of Shadow? his blood ran cold....if this was all because of traits from his shifting brother...why couldn't he control it? if it did stay as a Shadow Mark, would he be able to shift it back?

an idea came to him...it had happened after his evening prayers...this was his time of renewal...the mark had been renewed at this time normally...hope emerged...the Host would not desert him...there had to be some way he could use this ability...if only he could figure out if he controlled it...

...during meditation that night, Aegis contemplated the ironic gift of a Lightbringer skilled in Shadow arts....and as he combed his memory of the many mark traits that he studied in his travels, he began to see how the Mark of Shadow might help the Sons...and benefit his personal war against the evil that was the undead scourge...

Aegis wondered what new shifting, changing, part of him might emerge tomorrow?

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aegis settled into his nightly prayers after their first venture into Strahd's castle...it had been horrific...Ien died twice....and was now a halfling...how ironic....Aegis was disturbed by the fact that he just couldn't seem to keep Ien alive...his prayers intensified...soo many of his powers and abilities were useless or more costly in that dark place....would the gods allow his prayers for power in the face of that evil to go unanswered?

as his prayers concluded, his mark began to hum again....and the flashing cycle began, the mark vibrating between shadow and healing.....and like some horrific vision of a gambling nightmare....watching the dice roll....the mark came to rest on shadow....

so the day had come....he still had no control over his mark, and no idea if it would continue shifting or stay as shadow, finalizing his transformation into an elf....there had to be a way to face the horrors that awaited them.....he spent more time in meditation recalling the gifts of the shadow mark....pleading with the host to make him more powerful....powerful enough to face the immense evil that lurked in that castle....thankful for the new tools given to him as he fingered the prayer beads, focusing his thoughts, clearing his mind....stoking his power....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> Yarnsworn's Yarns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: