Campaign HQ Forum Index Campaign HQ
Chat about RPGs

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Rank SystemRank System   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Campaign HQ    The Company of the Bright Star Campaign    Vampire

Tactics
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
almostrevtev
Here dragon, dragon, dragon!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...hopping up and down...

ok...so i'm confused again...Sacred Vitality Protects against energy drain...in the phb it says that's negative levels....right?

-Mikal's journal, 1000 YK
NeurOde

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

I began my post before realizing you were using "SV" to mean Sacred Vitality and not Sheltered Vitality. So, I modified it to reflect that fact.

Smile

Freedom is coming, oh yes, I know...
shaft350x

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Sacred Vitality does not protect against Energy Drain, that pretty much means we'll run into a smart vampire, who will surprise Ien and smack him with negative levels right off the bat, or Ien will have just enough time to pop Sacred Vitality...and watch it not work anyways.

Agent Ien, Master of Bouncing Ability Scores.
almostrevtev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok....Sheltered Vitality...the spell...doesn't protect against energy drain (negative levels)

Sacred Vitality...the feat....does protect against energy drain (negative levels)

right? I've read them both over and over again....I think that's what I"m reading....

NeurOde

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostrevtev wrote:
ok....Sheltered Vitality...the spell...doesn't protect against energy drain (negative levels)

Sacred Vitality...the feat....does protect against energy drain (negative levels)

right? I've read them both over and over again....I think that's what I"m reading....

Correct and Correct.

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I like Aegis's new spell selections....Here's how I'm massaging it, also looking toward level 8's additional spells:

adept:
2x-Bless
Ghost Sound
2-Detect Magic
Touch of Fatigue

Cleric (not listing my 8- 0level spells, but they're on my sheet):
1st level:
1- conviction
1-Remove Fear (2 subjects at lvl 5?)
2- protection from Evil (I have 6 scrolls of this, as well if we need more)
1- Ray of Hope
variations- Vision of Glory (my charisma bonus to one saving throw) or nightshield might be handy if we're going up against something that casts magic missile,

2nd level
1- Healing Lorecall
1- Resist Energy
1- Ghost touch armor
1- Bull's Strength
other variations- lastai's caress (but only if I know we're going up against something with a mind)

3rd:
1-Dispel Magic
1-Light of Venya (switching to searing light at level 8 because of damage increase at level 8)
1-Prayer
1- Legion's Conviction (at level 8)
variations- spark of life, lesser humanoid essence, holy storm (especially on days when I know we're fighting evil outsiders) Legion's Conviction and Prayer can both be in effect at the same time for a total bonus to saves of 3 or 4, and a -1 for enemies....prayer bonus also covers more than saves (includes damage rolls, skill checks, etc)...I need to get a better idea of how spark of life might benefit us more than these spells...eventually, I'll have some more level 3 slots for spark of life and humanoid entrance, but for now I'm thinking of defensive buffs first..

4th
1- Death Ward (on Kane, I'm starting to think...I can't rez yet...he can)
1-Recitation (again, burst and luck bonus, so stacks with resistance/morale bonuses)
1-sheltered vitality (level 8)
variations: Earth Reaver (7d6 AOE), Spell Vulnerability, Restoration, or multiple Death Ward slots

questions...take another Death Ward or sheltered vitality for Kane...also, what actions do y'all have ready to take advantage of Spark of Life? I can picture using it, but it would have to be really beneficial compared to the other spells in that slot right now I'm thinking...lemme know what y'all think...

I'm also thinking that as I move toward more burst boosts, I'll start eliminating some of the individual save boost spells that are first level and take a larger variety of spells at that level...not sure if level 8 is when to move that direction or not...I seem to light off bursts more than individual buffs...

NeurOde

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain that Kane's Fort save is better than Aegis', plus you're a better healer--I think you should still Death Ward yourself first.

Just my two cents.

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kool....that makes sense...come level 8, I'm thinking two death wards, one for me and one for kane is the way I need to go...I can undo ability dmg/drain on Kane...I can't fix death without a significant workaround...fort saves...nice tip...I'll look at that more, too

Knight_of_Holy_Lotus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

death ward protects against what, specifically?

I'd look them up now, but I'm on my way out for a few hours, and I might forget to look it up.
almostrevtev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death Ward protects against death spells, energy drain, and negative energy....basically, it prevents negative levels and death spell effects....but doesn't protect against ability drain/damage....

so this is one of those things where I need to know which dragonmark I have before I memorize spells...if I have jorasco, I'm not so concerned about ability dmg/drain cuz I can fix it on the fly....but a against death and negative levels is really important...

death ward and sheltered vitality are both druid spells, too...but I love your offensive capabilties, so I'm trying to really maximize my healing/buffing so you can blow shit up...hehe

me likey watch bad guys go boom from druid bolts

Yarnsworn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, you get your dragonmark after you prepare for the day. You'll just have to be flexible and adaptable.
almostrevtev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch.....hmmm...that's going to keep things interesting...

NeurOde

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, we're still overpowered relative to a standard party: we'll be fine.

Rolling Eyes

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep and yep

so to shift the path for this character a little, it may be wise for Aegis to consider some other paths for his lvl 10 feat...

Plan was to take Travel Devotion (Complete Champion), but I'm revisiting Sacred Purification PHB2- p89 (divine burst heals 1d8+my cha mod to living, damages 1d8+my cha mod to undead) and Spurn Death’s Touch LM- p30 (remove ability dmg, paralysis, or negative level)...both are turn powered feats...also a reserve feat- Mitigate Suffering Comp Champ p61 (standard action to grant temp ability points up to normal levels when ally has ability dmg)

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so Mitigate Suffering...Complete Champion p61

requires a restoration spell or another conjuration (healing) spell that cures ability damage available to cast...

so I would have to prepare a spell that cures ability damage...my dragon mark wouldn't work as the spell because it's a spell-like ability?

roycie wants to see an emoticon.....
Twisted Evil

Yarnsworn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct, sir. Spell yes, spell-like, no.
NeurOde

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I am more impressed with "Spurn Death's Touch" and "Mitigate Suffering." Either could allow you increased flexibility in your spell selection by opening up slots (i.e. you wouldn't necessarily need to memorize the associated spells, or at least, as many of them).

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning heavily toward spurn death's touch right now...powered by turns...not too many situations where I'm going to be needing all of my turns for damage and protection and ...etc etc

the reserve feat would mean always preparing restoration...

another argument for Spurn Death's Touch is that it can remove negative levels, which Mitigate Suffering will never do...

but I'm still debating the travel devotion...although by the time I take this feat, Aegis will have dimension door and teleport for escaping when he needs to, so again...usefulness...spurn death's touch has a wide variety of uses, is powered by something I can manage from a large pool (turns) and can get us out of some very tough situations...

what am I not considering?

also...Roycie is looking forward to tonight...I told him Chris needs help rolling some dice...he got very excited...

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k...so after our most recent encounter, I'm thinking that turns may not be the way to go...lol we'll see how my resources pan out between now and lvl 10

I'm actually leaning mitigate suffering or travel devotion...as I see how my touch attack would work, if we find that I need to be doing damage, then travel devotion would be the way to go...or if I'm having trouble escaping harm's way, again, travel devotion...if we find that Aegis needs more options for fixing people, then mitigate suffering....I'm frankly really not a fan of spurn death's touch right now....I've got a lot of things pulling on my turn pool, and I thought I could manage them so that we didn't need them all in the same day, but as our current day shows, that pool may be tapped....and I'm frankly kinda thinking that the day we're doing now might be the first "normal" day we've experienced....lol

NeurOde

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostrevtev wrote:
the reserve feat would mean always preparing restoration...

Until/unless you can sac out for Restoration with your Dragonmark yet, I would lean towards keeping a Restoration memorized regardless--it's that important of a spell.

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's part of my thinking....I'm a big fan of the travel devotion, but I may need to head toward the restoration spell/reserve feat combo....I'm thinking it will become more obvious by the time we're level 10

Yarnsworn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the three feats that almostrevtev is considering, it seems to me that Spurn Death's Touch and Mitigate Suffering are both covered by your dragonmark and the majority of the party's access to Sacred Vitality. Both SDT and MS are redundant, in my opinion. Travel Devotion, while not advantageous in the same way as it would have been for your short halfling legs, now actually makes you the fastest person on the field. It's the workaround to Spring Attack, and you can take any standard action you like. There's no question in my mind, but continue to discern over the next levels.
NeurOde

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll echo Yarnsworn: I think versatility will prove to be more important/useful for you than continuing to add layers of protection to the same area.

Just my thought.

almostrevtev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning heavily that way, too...free action to escape or spring attack with a touch attack is pretty awesome feature....and movement is still an issue because I'm wearing medium armor...so yeah, I would choose travel devotion today if I had to choose, unless I find that I'm using the dragonmark to exhaustion and not being able to keep up with ability damage (again, not likely, but hey...I haven't had the mark of shadow come up yet, either)...

thanks for helping me think through this...keep me posted on other thoughts on the subject...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> Yarnsworn's Yarns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: