Campaign HQ Forum Index Campaign HQ
Chat about RPGs

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Rank SystemRank System   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Campaign HQ    The Company of the Bright Star Campaign    Vampire

Notification system?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> Weekend Heroes Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMShoe
Here dragon, dragon, dragon!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Notification system? Reply with quote

Want to throw out there for discussion: What is the best way to get everyone notified and track conversations for organizing our group activities?

These forums have been a useful tool, but they have become less frequently used of late. They are still valuable, and could continue to be our primary communication, but there might be other options, such as:

Email: I've been tracking my weekly group via email. The advantage is that those involved are frequently checking emails, the disadvantage is there isn't much permanence for campaign materials (no central storage place for story elements).

Facebook: I think (?) most of us are running facebook pages, and might be checking them more frequently than the forums. I'm not yet sure how to manage group messages with it, though, and it might actually be more difficult to track responses. I'm primarily using the iphone interface, and rarely check on an actual computer, so even if tools exist within facebook that we might use, unless they are supported on the iphone app it's less useful to me...

D&D Community Site: I've been considering setting up a page for each of my campaigns on the new D&D site. I've got a page up at http://community.wizards.com/wotc_shoe, and I can set up a group for campaigns and assign membership and all that. I'm not sure that it is any better than these forums, though it provides a bit more functionality.

Combo: Since I'm considering throwing a page up for my campaigns on the D&D Site, it's possible a combination of tools might be best. Forums for event tracking, and D&D site for campaign history, for instance...

Anyway -- thoughts?
strattjw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about email notifications to manage campaign attendance and a page on the wizards site to manage campaign details?
Kyndig

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^--- What he said. Email works great for scheduling, and the website would work well for campaign stuffs. That, and I can't get any "gaming" related site at work as it's being blocked by "the man". Smile
tykeal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... this site is blocked by "the man" then?
mzshoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like Mr. Stormweather needs to be consulted on the notification stuff since he is usually the last to respond due to connectivity issues.

But I agree with the last two - scheduling via email; wizards site to keep campaign details.

mzShoe
Kyndig

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, this is a forum, and though we talk about gaming, it's main function is as a message board site. So yes, I can see this at work.

But the WotC site (and anything tucked therein) is blocked, along with the WoW site and forums, etc. Facebook is as well (since it's deemed "not work related" Smile ). So notifications by email would be great!
tykeal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... would folks like me to setup a mailing list? I've got the ability to do that, along with archiving.
tykeal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, even without anyone saying this was a good idea, I've always thought it would be nice Wink So, I've gone ahead and created a WeekendHeroes mailing list. You can subscribe by going to http://www.bardicgrove.org/mailman/listinfo/weekendheroes and following the directions there.

Alternatively I could just mass subscribe folks Wink
mzshoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does this mean? Would we go to private messages to send the group a message?

mzShoe
tykeal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more so folks don't accidentally forget to include someone on the list should we switch to email for planning when we game. Sending to one address that gets to everyone that's interested / concerned makes it easier.

I set it up so that it became an option. If I had an easy way of doing a mailing list -> forums & forums -> mailing list solution believe me I would so we could have the bets of both worlds. It's a hard problem that I've tried to figure out a few times over the years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> Weekend Heroes Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: