Campaign HQ Forum Index Campaign HQ
Chat about RPGs

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Rank SystemRank System   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Campaign HQ    The Company of the Bright Star Campaign    Vampire

A brief skit.....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> Dungeonworld Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormweather
Here dragon, dragon, dragon!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting: A cavern within the the Temple of Elemental Evil. The room is gloomy with no light except for torches held by the players.

Cast: Chloe (the mighty paladin), Antonius (a spell happy sorcerer), Grumble (the perky gnomish monk), Thalen (a micheivious fellow), and Quinn (a fledgeling mage)

Supporting Cast: An Evil Druid and his dire bear, Quibo (kee-bow).

(Our story opens with the cast in the town of Rastor trading their booty (not the Paladin's) for money and other supplies. The dwarves of Moradin are very happy that the group has brought back so much dwarven equipment. Various members of the party purchase many expensive magical items for all their adventures which lie ahead of them in their long and illustrious adventuring careers.)

(The party decides it is time to head back to the temple.)

Chloe: Ok, lets all head back and kick some evil ass.

Everyone: Great! Sounds perfect! It's ass kicking time!

(So, the party ventures forth and finds their way back through the hidden entrance to the forgotten dwarven temple. They have come this way many times, so they don't think about watching for passers-by as they come out of the second secret door into the Temple of Elemental Evil's caverns.

Chloe, Quinn and Grumble (the ever so perky) walk out into the open cavern and then decide to look around.)

Grumble: (whispering) Hey, there's somebody down there.

Chloe: Duh, I saw him already.

Quinn: Where, I was picking my nose and got my finger stuck.

(Antonius and Thalen, having heard the conversation, decide not to come out of the room until they cannot be seen. Two invisiblilty spells later they emerge.)

Druid: Argh! That's where the exit be! I be searchin' fer that fer ages. (The part of the druid was portrayed by Pete the Pirate, as the druid mini was missing) I bet ye'll be wanting to get by me and buy some infermation, won't ye?

Chloe: Grumble keep him talking, I want to stare intently at him for a while.

Grumble: Uh...... hi. Nice pet. Does he eat gnomes? I hope not.

Quinn: I didn't see you. Sorry. Hey, aren't you a tree hugger?

(Meanwhile Antonius and Thalen have gotten bored and decide to play a practical joke on the druid by killing him while invisible. Thalen moves forward, but stumbles on an aphid.)

Druid: Argh, I see there are more of ye. Great fer me. I'll just ask more money from you. Ask yer questions and I'll take yer gold to answer 'em. (cocks his head to one side) Oh, is that a spell I be hearin'? Shame on ye! (he waves his arms as if doing the macarena and Antonius, so lost in the hypnotic movement of the tree-hugger's arms, loses the spell he was casting.)

(At this point in time the entire concept of a storyline is lost. The party rushes in one at a time to attack the druid and his bear. There is much hugging and squishing and many claws fly through the air. Our intrepid adventurers fall quickly. Some are killed by the bear and others are simply spanked on by their own party members. Fireballs fly and soundballs burst. A hammer even appears out of thin air and begins vainly to pound the druid into the ground, but disappears just as quickly when Quinn falls. Eventually the group is all dead. Actually, the group is dead quickly. There is not "eventually" about it.

The druid, seeing all his enemies slain begins to dance a little jig.)

Druid: Argh! I'm mighty and I kicked yer arses out the windie! I would spit on yer graves to, but I'm not gonna be bothered to bury ya! Why, 'cause I'm rich!

(The lights fade on our scene as the druid begins looting the corpses of our fine adventures. As the final spot fades out we see Quibo munching contentedly on Antonius' head.)

Remember: You can love your pets, just don't LOVE your pets.

[ This Message was edited by: Stormweather on 2002-03-10 14:25 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
tykeal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*rofl* Oh, my sides hurt... thank you Stormweather. *rofl*

DMShoe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Practical joke"!

I can't type, I'm laughing so hard.

ok.
breathe normal.
don't split open the wound.

chuckle.

-DMShoe
Dez

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cackle* well, he said he couldn't be trusted...that sounded like the cue to launch some soundballs at him...

--dez--
Nullex

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, hang on, hang on...

WTF...

"Couldn't be trusted" as a cue? Please tell me you're joking.

...no, really, please tell me you're joking, because I usually take a twelve-foot tall, six-armed Abyssal Death-Lord declaring himself the avatar of Bane standing amidst the bloody remains of my entire tribe of paladinic solars while using a unicorn's horn to anally punish the avatar of Torm as a "cue to launch some soundballs at him."

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I take the cue, "he couldn't be trusted," to mean "we shouldn't trust him." We can still parlay with him, and buy information from him. We just shouldn't adventure with him, put him in charge of party treasure, or betroth him to my virginic, farm-girl sister.

Then again, I wasn't there. And hey, maybe the druid looked "a little shady."
tykeal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe... I wasn't the one that started the scuffle that's for sure. You have to ask Dez and Razputyn what they were thinking.

Dez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*wry grin* well, it looked like the paladin was losing her mind (had just asked Grumble to speak for the party), so we were concerned something bad was happening, and were trying to get a surprise in, to tilt the odds in our favor a bit (dire bear...VERY big...)

--dez--
strattjw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so does this mean i should be making a new character for the next session too?

-- jesse
tykeal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now why would you do that? You didn't die...

DMShoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meg and Gaiden are still very much alive, back in either Rastor or Devarnish, probably Devarnish. (am I missing someone? Kevin?)

Next session will pick up with them, and then quickly move on with assimilating the rest of the party.

And the druid's comment of "I think you'll find me most untrustworthy" was directed at the paladin's attempt to detect evil.

I agree, Nullex, just because I might not be able to trust someone doesn't mean I'm going to kill them. But I'm just the DM.

And the druid did look a bit shady -- There he stood, with his menacing torch out and his scimitar at his belt, and a large bear standing behind him with a tattoo of a skull on its shaved forehead.

-DMShoe
Dez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

a large bear standing behind him with a tattoo of a skull on its shaved forehead

normally looks like something unpleasant is going to transpire...especially when the paladin turns over parley to the least charismatic member of the group...but then, I'm just a player. *nirg*

--dez--
<edited to fix bbcode>

[ This Message was edited by: Dez on 2002-03-12 13:39 ]
Dez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I take the cue, "he couldn't be trusted," to mean "we shouldn't trust him." We can still parlay with him, and buy information from him.

You agree that he shouldn't be trusted (based on his statement that he's going to be found untrustworthy), but in the next breath you state that you'll trust him enough to pay for his information. *shrugs* Sounds like trust to me...if you're going to trust his information, you're effectively "adventuring with him", because the party is going to base decisions on the information provided. But you wouldn't adventure with him... I don't know...I guess I tend to take a more pragmatic approach to delving: if they can't be trusted, why should they be left to their own devices? At the least, they should be incapacitated. At the most, they should be destroyed.

<soapbox>
The problem is, you can't say "submit and we won't slay you" -- because _NO ONE EVER SUBMITS_ I've been in several different groups, with a(n admittedly small, but very differently styled) number of DMs, and no one ever comes along quietly. It doesn't matter if the most charismatic (usu paladins or bards) or least charismatic (usu fighters and barbarians) ask. It doesn't matter what the current group is comprised of. Every "baddie" I have ever encountered has been just as sure of themselves as the adventuring party -- and just as convinced that noone is going to be able to take them out, so why should they meekly submit? But there is usually a majority of the party that believes (imho naively) that because we let <insert evildoer's name here> go alive, they will have a revelation and renounce their evil ways.

Of course, I have played a couple characters like this...however, my last several have been more cynical/realistic (depending on your point of view) about people turning themselves around and not stabbing you in the back when they got out of sight.

*shrugs* mebbe it's me. mebbe it's not. I don't know...but I'll climb off of my soapbox of raving +2 now, and return you to your regularly-scheduled forums browsing...

--dez--

DMShoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you would rather venture forth blindly than try and obtain some information along the way? Even if the information isn't entirely true, it can still be useful. Especially if you remember the source of the information. Untrustworthy doesn't mean he's going to always lie -- besides, isn't that what Sense Motive checks are for?

I do agree, however, that many opponents do not initially think themselves inferior to a band of adventurers. If they knew beforehand of the relative power levels, most opponents wouldn't even start an encounter.

A majority of encounters in adventures are designed to lead to combat. Its part of what makes the game go. Its the reason that most feats and spells and abilities were created.

But nearly always there are encounters where the party might live longer or learn more from not fighting.

Of course, the party might also live longer when they aren't being sound balled by their own. But thats the second of the two issues (the first being starting combat unnecesarily).

-DMShoe
DMShoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And regarding the "submit and we won't slay you" thing:

Its true that initially the opponent will not back down from such a demand (barring good Diplomacy or Intimidate rolls).

But after a round or two, or five? Once an opponent has seen what you are capable of, he may be more likely to back off (or not, if he's winning).

In the case of last session's Druid, he did attempt at a couple of points to offer truce -- once when battle was joined, and he gave his prices for his information -- then a second time when the first of the party went down and others were grabbed by the bear (tide turning his way).

But some players feel that if their character is damaged in some way, even if it is a point of subdual damage or a disrupted spell, that the only recourse is to kill the offender. Not eye for eye, but heart for little finger. Once combat is joined, then someone is going to die.

-DMShoe
strattjw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i seem to remember one time that we had a guard surrender to us, only to be killed in the next round by one spiked chain loving character.

Also, we've gotten info from other captured guards in this temple adventure and used the information that they gave us to get around the temple.

-- jesse
tykeal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<looking rather sheepish>
Ummm... yes, that wasn't exactly the best moment in Daren's life, but I was playing it through the way Daren would have. IIRC, Daren had been severely wounded by the character that he went on to put a spike through the head of.

However, on the flip side, Shoe is correct in that we tend to slay anything and everything that gets in our way. We're a rather vengful crowd.

Dez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll freely admit that Antonius was trigger happy...a large part of that was that (a) he didn't recognize the druid's comments as an attempt to call truce, and (b) he'd seen some, then most of his party dropped by the bear and the druid, and was trying to do enough damage to them that the paladin and monk being held by the bear would have a chance of finishing the battle. *sighs* unfortunately, the 25 sq ft characters couldn't not be in the blast of the spell targetting a 200 sq ft creature, and both saving throws were horribly missed. Had they not been, the druid would likely have fallen the next round, and the bear in a couple rounds after that. Tymora doesn't always smile on spellcasters...they're not exactly her favored crowd...

--dez--
Dez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiousity --

how many people's characters in the Dungeonworld campaign have the "sense motive" skill? And how many of the fallen had that skill?

I agree that's what the skill is for, I'm just wondering if it was even (reasonably) available to the group...because I don't recall it being used much, if at all, in this campaign.

--dez--
Dez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Stormweather -- great skit! I was thoroughly entertained by it. Now, if it only didn't reflect reality so very much...a lot of the sting would be removed.

Also, FWIW, I am very sorry to all involved that Antonius' actions contributed to the party kill -- especially to Andy: I promise, I'm not trying to kill your characters!

--dez--
Nullex

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not leave individuals to their own devices? If you feel that you need to end anyone who can't be trusted, then why are you even adventuring into the Temple, for aren't there a vast amount of individuals in the nearest city that can't be trusted? As such, shouldn't they be destroyed? And if not, then why not? What's the difference between evil out in the wild and in a city? If anything, I would argue evil in a city is worse for those living there. And just because someone is evil doesn't mean that they're going to go out of their way to do harm to others; they could just be focused on their own well-being and looking out for themselves. As such, why would someone lie to get some money as opposed to telling the truth, which he doesn't care about anyway? My thoughts...
DMShoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sense motive can be used untrained (the same way most NPCs might use Bluff). The checks are opposed, though a DC 20 check could assess someone's general trustworthiness after (or during) a short conversation.

It's a class skill only for Bards and Rogues, cross-class for others (though I disagree with this, and likely would make it class skill for all (except maybe barbarian) in future campaigns.

Some characters may have a negative or zero modifier, but every character has Sense Motive.

-DMShoe
Dez

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Why not leave individuals to their own devices?

Because I chose to become an adventurer, rather than putter around in my house in Nowhere, Dungeonworld.

As to why Antonius was adventuring (and killing creatures, rather than leaving them to their own devices) in the Temple, there was rumor of a great working of evil that threatened everyone, perhaps the entire world. The return question is: why are you adventuring in the Temple?

my ruminations on your thoughts...
--dez--
Stormweather

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that I am glad that my summary was enjoyed. But what I am most surprised about was the diatribe that has descended from it.

I will agree that "trigger happy" is almost an adequate term for our group, except for the fact that I'm sure if a trigger was pulled at any time in the battle. We still need to work on the concept of "less is more" at times. Also the concept of "Hey, let's try not to die this time." But we can get to that later.

MzShoe - I agree with you comments on the leader aspect. It is difficult to have a character with such an extreme alignment at times, especially if that character takes on the role of party leader. However, don't let that shake you from the desire to play them. Sometimes the extreme differences, though the most frustrating, result in the creation of the best and most memorable characters.

- Stormweather

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> Dungeonworld Stories All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: