Campaign HQ Forum Index Campaign HQ
Chat about RPGs

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Rank SystemRank System   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Campaign HQ    The Company of the Bright Star Campaign    Vampire

battle plans

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> The Company of the Bright Star Campaign Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mazrim
Here dragon, dragon, dragon!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: battle plans Reply with quote

Greetings,

I was sitting here thinking about our last few encounters, and a question came to mind. Are we being the most efficent in our battle plan or not? Do we even want to create a battle plan that we at least follow at the beginning of an encounter, taking into account players becoming dead or incapacitated and the change of plans that brings about?

Our plan, at this time, seems to be this:

1. Get the rogue's into position to do obnixious ammounts of damage to a single opponent at a time(I say this with great jealousy as I look at my d10+5 damage. hee hee)

2. Everyone else casts or battles as they see fit.

Feel free to add/subtract from this.

I have no problem if the group wants to take a more indepentent style to combat, I am just trying to maxamize our potential. Any comments?

Mazrim
Razputyn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mazrim I think that the reasoning behind why the SCOUTS currently fight this way is because we feel that this is the best way we can take out foes quickly. If the enemy we are fighting is subject to sneak attacks our strategy works fine. We will try to take out one as quickly as we can and move onto the next.

Our strategy does get a little less effective once we start fighting undead creatures or enemies that are not subject to sneak attacks. Our attacks now do a whopping d6 + 6 (Wulf) and d4 + 5 (Robyn) each and in some cases this damage is halved. In cases like this I think that as long as we get someone to flank with we are happy to attack whatever with whomever is on the other side.

I think that in most cases, the rogues will generally try to get in position to attack the foe that we think is the greatest threat. We are usually willing to tumble around or through other foes to get at someone. We however, do keep in mind that sometimes the mages want to get spells off before we go charging in.

Now as for a general attack plan for the party I think this is how we generally should go about it.

1. SCOUTS get in position to attack one foe.

2. The Master of Song and Dance, Tatania, casts a spell and begins to sing her song of inspiration.

3. The Ever Living, Tahlali, casts hold monster or some other offensive/defensive spell.

4. The Irrascible Holy Man, Richard, charges in and whacks nearest un-engaged enemy.

5. The "I don't know what I want to be when I grow up" Woods Hermit, Jaerna, changes forms and moves to attack foe engaged with The Irrascible Holy Man.

6. The Seductress, Sascha, casts a spell and moves in to attack foe engaged with Woods Hermit and Irrascible Holy Man.

I think that this will allow us to fight efficiently by taking down threats as quickly as we can. If we focus our attention at 1 or 2 at a time we should be o.k. We still have to be flexible since weird things do happen, but for the most part I think this should be sound.

-Raz
Mazrim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

I apoligize if I came across as criticizing the scouts for their battle plan. I think it is good that you guys can get in there and take out an opponent quickly, it is a great help to the group. I was thinking about this because of comments made to the rest of the group from the scout(s) (i'm not sure which one or both said something) that no one else gets in there and battles face to face.

Pease understand that I am in no way mad or upset. I don't mean to criticize anyone. I am just trying to help the group use all of their skills in the most effective way.

Mazrim
Razputyn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense was ever taken. I just posted what I believe to be the reasoning behind how the scouts fight. I hope that my tone was not an argumentative one. I felt no displeasure from your post. Thanks for the clarification though.

I do agree that we need to become more focused in combat though. Maybe we can keep people from falling over.

-Raz
Mazrim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

What! Keep my chatacters from falling over?!?! Where is the fun in that.

Hee hee hee hee!

Mazrim
Dez

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. I think that Raz missed the fact that Maz wrote "rogues" instead of "thieves". While Robyn & Wulf are both adamantly not thieves, they are technically rogues, as well as scouts...so either term is appropriate (although both prefer "scout")

I think the issue referred to about Raz & Dez commenting on not liking being the front-line fighters came from a series of sessions when there wasn't a battle-cleric or other fighter-class character around that could walk up and have the hit points to keep the beasties off of the mage & bard...and we were suffering for it in character deaths, or near-deaths. After a couple instances, that got old, and we (or at least, I) started to get frustrated by the party's apparent willingness to sacrifice the scouts, as long as they didn't get hurt...

That being neither here, nor there, I agree that it would be a _very_ good idea to agree on a default battle plan (and if it involves the scouts sneaking into position before starting, I most humbly request that any area spells cast have a reflex saving throw...)

--dez--
Mazrim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

Thanks for the clairification Dez. Yes, we should come up with a default battle plan, for two reasons.

1. We won't have to take time to set something up before each battle.

2. It will give us a base to work off of when we need to modify it, again saving time.

Good aspects of each chatacter battle wise:

Robyn: Several attacks, sneak attack, Shadow Dancer

Wulf: Sneak attack, Shadow Dancer,

Jerna: Many forms, healing, some offensive spells,

Tahlali: Many spells, Hail of Arrows,

Titania: Bardic songs of enhancement, spells

Richard: Several attacks, healing,

Sascha: Some spells, fast movement, sword

I almost feel like the weak link in the lineup. I'm not sure if I can be doing smething different to help the group more. Granted, Sascha doesn't have much trust for the group yet, due to her background. She does however have a great deal of respect for what each member brings to the whole. Sascha has seen what expert teamwork can bring about, and she(and I) want to help out as best as both of us can.

Having said that, does anyone have anything to add to the list. I know it is a very general list so far.

Mazrim
DMShoe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DM: Use invisible dragons with dispel magic and oppo attack snatch the party rogue. Then breathe.

heh.

-DMShoe
Dez

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lessons learned from last combat:

1) Rogues: Don't run!
2) When your barkskin and haste disappear, and you can't see the spellcaster that made it disappear, be cautious!
3) Rogues: Don't run!
4) Dragons, especially really old ones, think rogues and monks taste good -- avoid the mouth. (note: This is usually best accopmlished by being nowhere _near_ the dragon, especially nowhere near his lair while he's there...)

heh. -27hp in one fell breath.

--dez--
Razputyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TUMBLE, TUMBLE, TUMBLE, TUMBLE, TUMBLE, TUMBLE,......and umm.....TUMBLE!!!! Any questions?

-Raz
Stormweather

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the default attack plan suggested by Raz looks good. I might suggest one alternative for certain situations where there are two creatures which might need a "quick killing".

At such times I might suggest that the scouts each flank a separate creature with another character. ie. Wulf flanks with Jaerna and Robyn flanks with Richard (or something like that) so that both creatures are subject to the incredible sneak attacks that are involved.

On the whole though, I am quite pleased as to how well our scouts are able to dispatch some of our tougher adversaries in such a quick manner. Just every now and then you have to leave at least one for Jaerna to rip apart with her bare hands. K?

- Stormweather
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Campaign HQ Forum Index -> The Company of the Bright Star Campaign Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: